LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Aspire 7520G MXM upgrade? What are my choices?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hello,

I have the Acer Aspire 7520G with a GF 8600M GS 512MB. In http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table.html here it does not state the type my laptop supports (I think it's only Type II). So what are my choices for upgrading the graphics card?

At MXM's store I only found the 8600M GT 512MB (does not say if it's GDDR 3 or not, DDR2 is my guess) and HD 3650 256Mb DDR3. The 8600M only has 128b bus so it cannot use the additional 256 memory right?I checked the comparison table and these two come really close to each other performance wise.

Are these seriously my only options? Either the 8600M GT or HD 3650?

If you could get 9600mGT from the new Montevina based Aspire series it'd be the best.

Availability of this card probably depends on your location - here in Poland you can easily buy it for about 140 euro.

i think YES these are ur only options that available in the market

and as you said ... upgrading to 8600 gt or 9600 gt is not ajump worthing to do , since all of them have close performance

Guest Guest

Well the thing is I can't find any information that confirms that this laptop is MXM Type II (and not Type III or some other silly Acer build). And information about MXM Type II cards is also silly scarse or should I say information about MXM in general is pretty nonexistant.

After hours of browsing I'm convinced that my options of Type II cards would be either the 8600M GT or 9600M GT. If I can find a cheap 8600M GT or 9600M GT with GDDR3 memory I'm definately going to get one. Well as soon as I can be arsed to open this laptop and confirm the MXM specs of it myself or someone else with experience confirms it. Is there anything else I should take account for? Like power consumption, cooling, BIOS/OS/Driver compatibility? Anything else I need to buy before the upgrade like thermal paste or heat sink/fan?

The performance difference between a 8600M GS and 8600GT/9600GT isnt' something I would say 'close'.