LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DELL XPS M1730 SLOW SLOW?

Guest Bill

Bro

Dell is pretty good, talk to the manager and tell them this problem and what u have found online about other people having the same solution with a faulty motherboard.

Buy an extended hardware warrenty, it is worth it. I have 4 yrs and trust me I would never buy it without. Dell go to the end of the earth for their customers. they might give u a bit of grief if the warrenty ran out, just speak to someone higher up. there is other ways of complain like on www.hellopeter.com but I would only go that route if everything else fails. I feel your pain.

thanks...I did actually call and call and call and finally got a rep that said even though my warranty did expire 30 days ago, they will send me a new AC adapter for free to try and fix the problem however he said, if it turns out it is not the AC adapter is not the culprit, Dell WOULD NOT replace the motherboard. Now I found this odd becasue I never said anything about a motherboard on any of my previous calls or with him. I'm pretty sure they know it's a common issue with this XPS. I didn't even agree or acknowledge him when he said that but did thank him for sending the AC adapter. It should be here tomorrow. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I still think it's the motherboard but will see. Funny I posted in the Dell forums and I got more help here and responses then I got there - which was ZERO. You all are the best! :-)

U can keep pushing them, if it is a known fault they have to replace it as it seems they should have recalled the motherboard. alienware tried to pull the same stunt. check this link out.

http://www.badsoftware.com/alienwaresucks/

alienware is now owned by dell. it gives quiet a few pointers. they should really help u out if they know the motherboards have had issues, its not like urs is the only one. don't waste ur time with level1 tech, just keep asking for someone who can help you solve this problem. Hellopeter.com looks like it will be a good next move. dell will respond the next day. and someone who can help will call. Always remember to be curtious but push and don't back down until you have a proper solution, u have bought the XPS range which is their elite range they don't want bad press about there flagship model. Hope this helps. Godspeed.

Guest Bill
U can keep pushing them, if it is a known fault they have to replace it as it seems they should have recalled the motherboard. alienware tried to pull the same stunt. check this link out.

http://www.badsoftware.com/alienwaresucks/

alienware is now owned by dell. it gives quiet a few pointers. they should really help u out if they know the motherboards have had issues, its not like urs is the only one. don't waste ur time with level1 tech, just keep asking for someone who can help you solve this problem. Hellopeter.com looks like it will be a good next move. dell will respond the next day. and someone who can help will call. Always remember to be curtious but push and don't back down until you have a proper solution, u have bought the XPS range which is their elite range they don't want bad press about there flagship model. Hope this helps. Godspeed.

Thanks Buddy....well I have the new AC adapter here and it didn't work. Same issues. Now I'm 100% convinced it is an issue with the motherboard. I dread calling Dell again but I really have no other choice because this is really a problem. This "elite" XPS runs worse than terrible and in the BIOS it keeps showing the same thing AC Adaptor = Unknown Device Installed oh and the battery doesn't charge. What I have found via researching the issue is - the motherboard is most common issue that Dell has addressed based on the fact the adapter detection circuitry is on the motherboard rather than having it as a modular part which is causing the problem thus all other issues because when the laptop thinks it's running on battery - everything is unworkable. Damn...

for now with your machine you could force high performance even on battery by changing the settings in the vista power plan. just change to high performance, then edit the battery setting on that plan to force the settings you want. this should make it work like on a plug even though it thinks it is on battery. try it, i think it will work.

at least untill dell does a propper fix for you :)

Edited by Exile1975

dude think of it this way u bought a nice new Mercedes benz but after a year u realise the ECU is faulty and many others have the same problem,making your car unreliable, u have a consumer right to a product that is not faulty and what seems to be alot of people have the same problem. FIGHT. I know it sucks and we all dread it. Maybe pray and ask God for his hand in it. He has helped me greatting getting my cellphone changed from K850i to C902i as I had sent in K850i for repairs 6times, cellphone company vodacom refused to change model, one call to sony and it was a done deal.

Godspeed

Guest Bill

Welllll after spending hours on the phone with Dell yesterday and a bunch of different tech people and their supervisors, they did agree the issue was either the AC Adapter or the motherboard and since the new AC adapter did not fix the problem, it had to be the motherboard but again, since the warranty expired, the would not replace it. They said they sent the new AC adapter as a ONE-TIME ONLY convenience and if the issue was indeed the motherboard, they would not fix. After going back and forth with different supervisors and me getting more and more frustrated, they put me on hold for like 10 minutes and the last supervisor came back and said they will offer me 2 options to help resolve the issue. 1. go through non-warranty hardware department and pay for a new motherboard OR 2. purchase an extension to my warranty for 1 or 2 years at $239.51 or $340.00, respectively and once the system updates the warranty extension, they will put in the order for a new motherboard and on-site technician to fix it free of charge. Nice huh? I finally agreed to it considering the motherboard probably going to be a lot more than that and it does cover this XPS for more time. So I paid for the extended warranty and it updated my service tag # immediatley and they put the order in for on-site tech and motherboard replacement. Not the best solution but I guess it is a solution. Still disappointed with Dell's customer service on this "elite" machine but the time wasted trying to get this resolved was getting out of hand. Oh well. Another lesson learned. Thanks all for you suggestions and help. We will see what the new motherboard brings next week.

• 2 months later...

Did this sort it?

You should definately have upgraded the warranty to 3 years before ringing dell with the problem ;-)