LaptopVideo2Go Forums

John's INF for Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61p

Kamika007z

Hello All,

Attached is the INF for the ThinkPad T61p running the nVidia Quadro FX 570M adapter.

Currently this is for Vista x64 and Widows 7 x64 but am in the process of making it for the x86 version of the OS as well.

I'm still in the testing phases, but wanted to post it here for everyone to try out. This driver seems to have solved the audio stuttering and slow Aero performance issues as described here.

Please let me know if you run into any issues.

Also, please be aware that PowerMizer is disabled under AC, while enabled under battery unless otherwise stated.

The INF 'NVBL_18585' is written for the 185.85 driver set which can be found here, while other INF's are labeled accordingly.

The INF 'NV_DISP_19107' is written for the 191.07 driver set which can be found here. This version has PowerMizer enabled throughout AC and battery. I also added an XP version of 191.07 - Please let me know as I do not have an XP-running system and cannot test it fully.

The INF 'NV_DISP_19562' is written for the recently WHQL'ed 195.62 driver set which can be found from nVidia directly and can be read about it here. This version has PowerMizer enabled throughout AC and battery as well as code which is taken from IBM/Lenovo's driver set directly.

NEW: The INF nvdm_19784 is taken directly from Dell's Alienware M17x line and can be found here. So far, this a rough INF with just the FX 570M addition and DPC Latency Checker version 1.2 seems to be showing green only. So, so far, so good! Let us know how it does for you! :)

UPDATE: Version 1.1: A few tweaks did not stick upon installing, moved install routines around.

UPDATE: Version 1.2: Cleaned up INF for 191.03 and up. Based on nVidia's documentation, this should help resolve issues with PowerMizer throttling issues.

Warm regards,

Kamika007z

NVBL_18585.INF

NVBL_19056.INF

NV_DISP_19062.INF

NV_DISP_19156.INF

NV_DISP_19107.INF

NV_DISP_19107_XP.INF

NVLT_19562.INF

nvdm_19686.inf

nvdm_19784.inf

• 3 weeks later...

You can put it in AddReg = nv_miscBase_addreg__02 (in that particular INF) or [nv_commonBase_addreg] these are the new header names.

The new structure makes for easier modding as it's better laid out but looks very daunting a first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks Pieter!!

I have not no, but will start working on it soon.

Thank John for your hard work although I can not use it yet(XP).Hope the XP version will be released soon.

• 4 weeks later...

No worries!

I am also working on the 190.56 driver set as well and testing it on Windows 7 RTM.

I'll be updating this thread soon.

• 3 weeks later...

So do I put the inf attached above into the folder instead of the one at the driver page? Or do I put both?

Just remove all other INFs and use this one instead by putting it into the same folder.

Then use the 'Have Disk..' method from Device Manager to install.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the driver! the 190.62 one loaded without any problems.=) I noticed that Powermizer is not in NVIDIA's control panel. You mentioned that it's enabled for both AC/Battery. I noticed that my GPU temp idles at about 58-50 degrees Celcius now, compared to about 52-53 degrees using Lenovo's vista x64 drivers. I'm wondering whether there's a switch somewhere i can toggle to enable powermizer to kick in, or maybe there's something i missed.

I'm running windows 7 x64 RC on T61p. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the driver! the 190.62 one loaded without any problems.=) I noticed that Powermizer is not in NVIDIA's control panel. You mentioned that it's enabled for both AC/Battery. I noticed that my GPU temp idles at about 58-50 degrees Celcius now, compared to about 52-53 degrees using Lenovo's vista x64 drivers. I'm wondering whether there's a switch somewhere i can toggle to enable powermizer to kick in, or maybe there's something i missed.

I'm running windows 7 x64 RC on T61p. Thanks!

I'm trying to get the PowerMizer option to show under the control panel, but haven't been successful thus far... If anyone knows how this is possible, I would love to hear it!

Thanks!

To be honest, I personally don't see the point of disabling PowerMizer under AC. I have never had any issues with PowerMizer (by that I mean unwanted underclocking when working in 3D etc.) and it's useless to keep the GPU @ 3D clocks when I'm just doing stuff in 2D, surfing the web etc.

Anyways, have any of you guys tested the new 191.56 Quadro driver yet? I'm curious about overall stability and any issues (flickering, not being able to reduce brightness etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I personally don't see the point of disabling PowerMizer under AC. I have never had any issues with PowerMizer (by that I mean unwanted underclocking when working in 3D etc.) and it's useless to keep the GPU @ 3D clocks when I'm just doing stuff in 2D, surfing the web etc.

Anyways, have any of you guys tested the new 191.56 Quadro driver yet? I'm curious about overall stability and any issues (flickering, not being able to reduce brightness etc.)

Hi K4m1k4z3, love the name :)

I have re-enabled powermizer for 191.56 as well as for a few others. I have seen that my system BSOD's at random moments when running on battery. Needless to say, my install of Windows 7 is somewhat old and since August and needs a brand-new install since the OS has been finalized.

Have you been experiencing any blue screens at all? Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you!

No BSOD's here lately (Win 7 RC x64 build 7100). 191.56 was great, I can't think of any issues. However, I tried the new 195 driver yesterday but it didn't let me reduce brightness (it was stuck at max). Performance-wise all the new drivers are very similar. I don't use external display(s) so I can't report any issues regarding that.

Thanks K4m1k4z3,

This is somewhat odd, I'm getting a 0x00000124 BSOD, but only when on battery.

I think I'm going to reinstall the OS (Win7 x64), just to make sure, since I've been running this install since it was released on MSDN back in August.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

EDIT: Turns out it was a faulty Intel 5300AGN card. The hacked BIOS was installed so the card would run on the machine, however, when on battery, it would crash.

K4m1k4z3, when you first turn on your T61, after it goes past the Lenovo screen, does the next screen stay black for about 5-7 seconds after, then go to a cursor at the top-left, then boot to Windows?

Thanks!

Edited by Kamika007z

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, can't install the driver. Using the Have disk method, but it says that some installation files couldn't be found....

Make sure you're downloading it from the nvidia provided link at the top for 195.62.

Hi,

Tried installing the 195.62 driver with the provided INF, via update driver. It failed, saying 'system cannot find the file specified'. I've downloaded the nvidia provided link. Any instructions on how to get this driver installed?

Thanks!

195.62 drivers seem to work nicely, except backlight brightness OSD doesn't show.

If you installed the driver without replacing the INF with mine, then it might be missing this line for brightness control:

HKR,,EnableBrightnessControl,%REG_DWORD%,1

Looks like I still have the STOP 0x00000124 BSOD.

This only seems to happen when on battery. My guess: powermizer.

Can anyone else confirm this? It happens when browsing the web or watching video.

EDIT: SpeedStep - Faulty CPU...?

• 2 months later...

I did install it with your INF (I had deleted the original NVLT.inf and put your INF in that folder.) Am I supposed to delete all the other INF present?

Yes, just to be safe, make sure no other INFs exist before using mine.

Lenovo is going to trade up my T61p to a T410 "Elite Edition" due to all the issues that I have been having with this machine. The new notebook features the nVidia NVS 3100M graphics controller.

I'll be working on that one when I receive it.

DPC Latency has dropped substantially, however, audio stutters are still somewhat present...

Anyone else care to let us know how their's fair?

• 1 month later...

Aww... sorry to hear that.

I've tested latency with the DPC Latency checker and it was fine with both 197.16 and 197.44.

Also, what do you mean by audio stutters? The little lag/twitch caused by GPU downclocking?