LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware Area-51 m15x GPU Upgrade

Guest M. P.

Guest M. P.

Hello,

I would like to ask if the Alienware Area-51 m15x has an MXM 2, MXM 2.1 or MXM 3 Socket?

Do you know if a Geforce 280m would fit in?

If not, do you know which graphic card is the most powerful which would fit in this Laptop?

8800/9800 GT/ GTX?

Many Thanks

:)

8800 GT and 9800 GT are almost identical in benchmarks as are the 8800 gtx and 9800 gtx. Nvidia has had a habit lately of rebranding their cards with minor performance updates so i would recommend a 8800 GT or GTX since they may be a fraction less in cost (if that is at all your concern). As for the Geforce 280m fitting You can always call Alienware and ask them the type of slot....HAHA YEAH RIGHT...i tried that with my old alienware m5500 and they had no clue. But seriously, if you have recently purchased the m15x a Geforce 280m should fit and work without issue, and im only basing that on the thought that they wouldnt have a different motherboard for each graphics card the buyer chooses for the same model laptop (not very cost effective). Do you have an 8600m GT 256 GDDR3? Let me know and i can give a more definitive answer.

Edited by TC Ozman

I believe that the Alienware M15X uses MXM 2.1 and YES the Nvidia GTX 280M fits and works in it. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

Thanks for your fast responses !

I postet this question using a guest account as I thought nobody would care about it as usual but you convinced me of the contrary :)

I have not got the m15x right now but I am definately going to get a used one; it does have the 8600m GT.

I am confused right now, it makes sense if the m15x would use MXM 2.1 but mxm-upgrade says MXM IV HE?

( http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table.html )

Could you please tell me the measurements of MXM 2.1?

82mm x 10 mm?

If it is 82mm x 10 mm, what is the difference between MXM 3?

I looked up for some suitable video cards on my own. The 8800 GTX performs nicely, but there should be a different of 1.200 3DMark06 points between this one and the 9800 GTX.

Also, if the graphics card in the m15x is 82mm x 10 mm, I could use a FX 3700m as well because FX 2600/3600 are almost equal to FX 3700 regarding to measurements and TDP.

I guess the only problem would be the system's BIOS.

BTW: Why does Alienware not let me choose a 9800 GTX ? I can only choose between a 9800GT and a 3600M (and an ATI one) ?

Overheating problems?

@jdeluna:

Your m15x works with a 280m GTX ?!

(postet in your signature)