LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I just bought an ATI HD 3870!

protivakid

Hey,

I just bought an ATI HD 3870 on ebay and when it comes I hope to get it to work with my Alienware M5750. I plan on taking pictures and doing a step-by-step guide. I'll let you all know how it goes. If it works my HD 3650 will be up for sale.

~Christopher

I presume the 3870 is mxm 3? But if it does work then Im interested with the 3650. Is it compatible with acer?

Yes the 3870 is mxm III i've been hunting one down for a while, because they are newer and still being put in new alienware's they are hard to come by. But the 3650 is mxm II and should fit in a lot of other brands. Check mxm-upgrade's compatibility chart.

ok, Im waiting for the good news and a good deal then. :)

I got the card but am waiting on another gpu/cpu heatsink I ordered on ebay because in order to make this card fit I have to cut off a good chuck w/ a dremel of the gpu's mounting plate and don't want to do that to my original just to find out the card doesn't work haha. So far though the only problem I think i'd run into would be because I have 4GB of ram and the card is 512MB I think my bios caps at 4 so I may have to remove a stick of ram to get the card to boot. I will update though once I get to playing w/ it.

Hi,

@ protivakid:

if you can get it to work, would you please post your vbios here?

Thanks

Guest Guest

@protiva kid where did you buy this card? please don't take this info only for you, we are a community :)

the 3870 is a great card the per4formance are the same at 9800M gts and near at the nvidia 8800M GTX and heats less than nvidia 8800M/9800M :)

and with the vcard you have recive a metal support for the 4 screws too?

I somehow managed to snag it on ebay before anyone else could. Paid a good price for it but i've been wanting this card for a long time. And no I didn't get the 4 screws for it but I am just going to MacGyver something up with small washers, shouldn't be hard. I guess the card when mounted in the OCZ laptop does not need the metal support. I'm going to try my best to get it to work when that metal plate arrives but if I can't then it'll be up for sale haha, not sure how it'll go as I haven't tried anything yet.

Any responses to the possible memory issue I may face with the cap being 4gb and me already having 2 X 2GB and wanting to add this 512mb card?