LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Where to find a GeForce GTX 280M MXM-II?

SebastianJu

Hello,

Im wondering where to get such a card. And before someone is asking I have read that there is a mxm-II-variant in 2 articles. Maybe Im misunderstand them.

First one: http://www.notebookcheck.com/Nvidia-GeForc...st.14553.0.html

There is wrote in german: "Um 17-19% erhöhte Taktraten (585/1463/950 versus 500/1250/800 = +17%/+17%/19%) bei Einsatz einer MXM 3 Karte (MXM 2 ist auf 800 MHz Speichertakt limitiert)." what means 17-19% higher clockrates (...) when using a mxm3-card (mxm2 is limited on 800 MHz Ram-Clock)

And the second: http://www.notebookcheck.com/NVIDIA-GeForc...0M.14542.0.html

"A ls Speicherausstattung gibt es bis zu 1024 MB GDDR3 (die bei MXM2 Karten mit 800 MHz getaktet werden und bei MXM3 Karten mit bis zu 950 MHz)."

As Ram there is up to 1024MB GDDR3 available (that is clocked 800MHz at MXM2-Cards and at MXM3-Cards up to 950MHz)

So this means there is a MXM2-Version isnt it? So where to get it?

If there isnt one... I have a acer Aspire 7720G and successfully updated the 8600M GT to a 9600M GT (plus doubled hardware to 2x500GB HD + 2x2GB RAM). So is there a better MXM-2-Card if the 280M isnt available in MXM2-Format?

Thanks!

Sebastian

Guest Guest

But seriously i doubt it look at the english version of the same article :

"The memory equipment is up to 1024 MB GDDR3 (which are clocked with max. 800 MHz at MXM2 cards and with up to 950 MHz at MXM3 cards)".

I guess they're talking about MXM2 memory clocks in general....and not about an hypothetical MXM2-variant of the GTX 280M...

These articles are very confusing...As always concerning laptop graphic cards....Frankly, they could have been more specific...Bunch of loosers.

In any case, it wouldn't be logical that nvidia releases a MXM2 version of a high-range graphic gpu such as the GTX 280M.

Edited by FrenchTouch

Never mind logical, it's simply not FEASIBLE.

Let's think about this seriously - MXM-II cards have a maximum thermal envelope of 25 W. The GTX 280M uses THREE TIMES that much.

I think what the article was referring to in terms of memory isn't card sizes (MXM-II vs. MXM-III), but specifications, as in MXM 2.1 and MXM 3.0.

If you'll look at Notebookcheck's database, most cards come with 800 MHz RAM, except for the most recent cards on the MXM 3.0 specification such as the GTX 280M or even the GT 130M.

Thus, you can expect the GTX 280M to have 800 MHz memory in an MXM-III or MXM-IV card if made to the MXM 2.1 specifications, or 950 MHz in an MXM-B card if made to MXM 3.0 spec.

Remember, card sizes tend to be referred to in Roman numerals (MXM-I, II, III, IV), while specifications use regular numbers (MXM 2.1, 3.0).

Edited by TehSuigi