LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Updated MXM2-Card on Acer Aspire 7720G but cant overclock it?

SebastianJu

Hello,

I updated my Acer Aspire 7720G from 8600M GT, 2x250GB HD and 2x1GB Ram to 9600M GT, 2x500GB HD and 2x2GB RAM. And it works. I have around 5000 3DMark06-Points with it.

At first I had the annoying 30sec- Bootdelay-Beeping but this was gone with a update of the Notebook-Bios. 1.19 to 1.45 in Version. After that I had to use a modded inf to get the newest Forcewaredriver 185.85 wo work. And after that point the card is working fully fine.

But I want to overclock it. I tried to use Rivatuner and made the trick that is necessary to let it run with the forcewaredriver 185.85. Problem is when I set a different clockrate it isnt saved. When I change it and close the window and reopen it the clockrate is the same till before. I even tested to set it with ATITool but I click Set Clock, it is working a time and after that the old clockrates are back.

Whats the thing there? Is it some acer-software that is preventing from overclocking? Or is it impossible to overclock this card? Can someone tell me wheres the point?

Would you think it would make a difference for games to overclock the cpu too?

Greetings!

Sebastian

• 2 months later...
Guest SebastianJu

Bump

Could some 1 help him

I'm in the same boot

or did you find a solution ?

I can. You have to use nibitor. Test settings with prime and atitool (Because on normal games cpu and gpu are producing heat and they both have the same cooler in a notebook). If it runs fine you can use the values. But make a backup of original bios and dont overdo it. If the card dont work anymore you have to find a solution...

I have undervolted my gpu (9600M GT) and overclocked it. Now I have a cooler card than before and a faster one... And my notebook should consume less power...

I use voltages:

extra: 1V

3d,Thrtl,2D: 0,89V

And Clockrates(Core,Shader,Memory):

Extra: 600,1600,950

3d: 400,800,300

Thrtl: 275,550,300

2D: 169,338,100

I think I got original 5000 and with the changes 5700 3d-Marks (forgot version).

On my Acer this works without problems. I only have some problems when there is really much dust in the cooler. But after cleaning I have no problems for months. Playing Crysis brings no errors. But the card is to bad for high settings in game. Its the best MXM2 so I cant do anything against...

Greetings!

Sebastian

Hello,

I updated my Acer Aspire 7720G from 8600M GT, 2x250GB HD and 2x1GB Ram to 9600M GT, 2x500GB HD and 2x2GB RAM. And it works. I have around 5000 3DMark06-Points with it.

At first I had the annoying 30sec- Bootdelay-Beeping but this was gone with a update of the Notebook-Bios. 1.19 to 1.45 in Version. After that I had to use a modded inf to get the newest Forcewaredriver 185.85 wo work. And after that point the card is working fully fine.

But I want to overclock it. I tried to use Rivatuner and made the trick that is necessary to let it run with the forcewaredriver 185.85. Problem is when I set a different clockrate it isnt saved. When I change it and close the window and reopen it the clockrate is the same till before. I even tested to set it with ATITool but I click Set Clock, it is working a time and after that the old clockrates are back.

Whats the thing there? Is it some acer-software that is preventing from overclocking? Or is it impossible to overclock this card? Can someone tell me wheres the point?

Would you think it would make a difference for games to overclock the cpu too?

Greetings!

Sebastian

Does 9600 GT works on 7720G?

A have 5720G with 8400M on it.They both have same motherboards on. I have bios version 1.19 the same.

I was thinking to buy a 8600 but if it's working I'll rather buy a 9600

Where did you bought it from?

For overclocking try gputool

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1383/GPUTool_Community_Technology_Preview_1.html

and NVIDIA System Tools

• 4 weeks later...