LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HD3870 or HD3650 in a m5750

protivakid

Hello,

Alright so I currently have an Alienware M5750 which I just put up to the latest bios v1.19w. I bought an ATI HD 3650 MXM-II from an HP laptop and an ATI HD 3870 MXM-III from an OCZ laptop. Both cards are 512MB.

Well I started with the HD 3870 and the laptop will power on and stay on however there is nothing on the screen or coming from the DVI port and no hard drive activity. I thought that maybe because the BIOS caps at 4GB of memory, my two sticks of 2GB each might be causing a problem so I tried just one in and the same thing happened.

My next step was to try the 512MB HD 3650 and I got the exact same results which doesn't surprise me because the two cards came out around the same time.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know 256MB version of the HD 3650 works just fine in these m5750 & m5790 laptops so why shouldn't the 512MB version if I even only run one 2GB stick of ram? Would there be any issue with maxing out the slot as in should I bother trying a 1GB stick of ram in only one slot? Or is there a newer BIOS than the 1.19w?

If anyone can help me even get one card to work i'd gladly sell them the other card at a discounted price. Thanks in advance.

~Christopher

Guest bobo

you have to try with a a single stick of memory 512mb or 1gb , this is a strange thing because the ati 3870 of alienware m17 works great on alienware m5550 and m5750 5790 , one person of this forum have just bought and try it, with greats positive results.

maybe you have to try a blind flash of ati 3870 alienware on your ocz 3870...

and the ati 4650 ddr2(acer 8935) works also on amilo xi 1546 the same of alienware m5750...

but the best i think is the ati 4670 gddr3 from acer 8935 tha i'm waiting for :)

link to the forum post w/ positive results?

EDIT: found the link but it seems a little strange w/ no great proof, you can find gpu-z screens anywhere

Edited by protivakid

Guest Guest

can you post a photo with a good resolution >= 1024 x768 a want to know if the componets are in the same positiono of the ati 3870 bu alieware

thanks

Guest Guest

i repeat that you have to do a blind flash to your ocz 3870 with the bios of an alienware m17 ati 3870 only if the components are in the same position

I don't think I can blind flash as the laptop does nothing with the card in it, the hard drives don't even boot, how can I blind flash using this one laptop (only mxm one I have). Also OCZ bios work fine in the Alienware m9750 so shouldn't this? And lastly does anyone here have a m17 hd3870 bios they can provide to me?

Flashing shouldn't make a difference. I talked to ichime from another forum and he got his OCZ 3870 to work judt fine in his (1/2-1) year newer m9750 w/o modifying the vbios so that's not my solution.