LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT MAX RAM IN 4GB of Ram ?

Saman3230

I have Laptop Inspiron 1520

t7500 2.2 with 4mb Cache

160 SATA

geforce 8600m gt

3gb of ram

i want to play Velvet Assassin but this game very poor running in my laptop

i wanna upgrade ram to 4gb

1. what size of max amont of my vga ram ?

in 2gb = 256 shared memory = 768

in 4gb = ?? shared memory = ???

You probably can't play it then with that laptop. I have a 1520 that I upgraded to a T9300 2.5 GHz 6 MB Cache 45 nm, 6 GB memory (because Dell won't fix their BIOS to support 8.. :) ), 500 GB 5400rpm WD drive, 4 GB turbo memory, but there were still a lot of games that didn't play well. It really depends a lot on the graphics card, and the 8600 GT just isn't that good for a lot of games.

Have you tried overclockin? because with my 8400 GT I reach from 450/650 to 700/1100 without glitches or anything... and I dont really have problems playing Velvet Assassin (I think I left shadows at mid or textures... Ill check tomorrow and Ill upload a SS)

You probably can't play it then with that laptop. I have a 1520 that I upgraded to a T9300 2.5 GHz 6 MB Cache 45 nm, 6 GB memory (because Dell won't fix their BIOS to support 8.. :) ), 500 GB 5400rpm WD drive, 4 GB turbo memory, but there were still a lot of games that didn't play well. It really depends a lot on the graphics card, and the 8600 GT just isn't that good for a lot of games.

How did you upgrade you CPU for your inspiron 1520? I have a 1520 with an 8600M GT & a 2.2GHz T7500 CPU like the OP.

How did you install the CPU? can I buy the T9300 and follow the information in one of DELL's manuals? Thanks mate.

Also Segurito what OS do you have and is it x86 or x64?

If you have x86 then getting 4GB will skip on about 500MB of space.

Does VA have 64 bit native support?

Replacing the CPU on it is rather complicated, and if you bust something, it will probably not be covered under your warranty. I had been into it before for other upgrades, so I was familiar how some parts were taken out, and it took me about an hour to carefully replace it. The directions I used were from Dell at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...u.htm#wp1179976.

Also, I think you need the most current BIOS for the upgrade, so install that first if you don't have it.

I am running 64 bit Vista Ultimate on there. Since, they don't officially support 64 bit on that system, you may have to do some searching to get some of the drivers and tools for it.

I have x86 but what Im saying its that even if you replace your CPU probably the performance wont be that great and you should try overclocking your gfx card first and then check some benchmarks on the web

There are heat issues with those cards on their own though, so overclocking may void your warranty and kill a card that might have an issue already. I don't even use that one much for games anymore though, so I definitely wouldn't risk that. I didn't just upgrade the CPU for games either. I wanted more performance with development and large amounts of computations (partially why I needed over 4 GB of memory..).

Edited by Korn1699

If your using Vista, the total amount of video RAM that you will have (dedicated and allocated) will be 1.5 GB for a machine with 4 GB.

My computer has 4 GB of RAM and the dedicated RAM is 256 MB. The Vista operating system then allocates another 1.3 GB of system RAM for graphics use.

The 8600m GT (even the DDR2 version) should be capable of running Velvet Assassin at an acceptable frame rate.

- Make sure that you check that the settings in game are reduced

- Make sure that in the power setting tab on Vista that you set it to High performance (otherwise the CPU will be locked at a lower clock)

- Ensure that you GPU is not over 100C (as it will automatically downclock)

- Try using the official NVIDIA drivers as they should not have issues with powermizer downlocking at the wrong time.

HEY GUYS

itry to nvidia control panel and 3d option and chand quallity to perforamance this game runs very very goood

I have x86 but what Im saying its that even if you replace your CPU probably the performance wont be that great and you should try overclocking your gfx card first and then check some benchmarks on the web

Games like Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Source are more CPU than GPU reliant and the frames start to dip & the CPU maxes out when playing large matches like 32 players especially in Counter-Strike: Source

If your using Vista, the total amount of video RAM that you will have (dedicated and allocated) will be 1.5 GB for a machine with 4 GB.

My computer has 4 GB of RAM and the dedicated RAM is 256 MB. The Vista operating system then allocates another 1.3 GB of system RAM for graphics use.

The 8600m GT (even the DDR2 version) should be capable of running Velvet Assassin at an acceptable frame rate.

- Make sure that you check that the settings in game are reduced

- Make sure that in the power setting tab on Vista that you set it to High performance (otherwise the CPU will be locked at a lower clock)

- Ensure that you GPU is not over 100C (as it will automatically downclock)

- Try using the official NVIDIA drivers as they should not have issues with powermizer downlocking at the wrong time.

or 1.244 GB assuming that it's exactly 1.5 GB in total

HEY GUYS

itry to nvidia control panel and 3d option and chand quallity to perforamance this game runs very very goood

Lower quality = better performance, yep