LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overheating and driver problems! Help!

Guest Woland

Guest Woland

I been trying a lot of drivers in almost all series. Basically if i don't stick to Dell's really old drivers my computer overheats. Although the GPU has an average temperature of 52 C I can feel the part where my video card is really hot. My card and heat dissipator have already been changed, twice by Dell. I recently installed 179.48 drivers and it was fine until I decided foolishly to try new drivers. I tried 180.xx drivers and my computer overheats even more as the GPU goes 56 or 57C. This apply to both the drivers hosted by laptopvideo2go and the ones on nvidia site. I tried uninstalling and going back to the old drivers (179.48) and I still get overheat problems.

I use Dell Fan Control to monitor the GPU temp.

I use cooler although not the Zalaman cooler since I have yet to find a distributor here in Mexico.

Anyone know anything that help me? Perhaps some particular drivers to try.

XPSM1730

Intel Duo 2.6

nVidia Gefore 8700M SLI

4 GB RAM

Windows Vista 32 Bit

hmmmmmmmmmmmm 57C° is far from overheat. It's incredibly cold for a 8700M, and even more for a SLI. Nothing to worry about.

Like Ti3noU said, these cards's are fine up to 90°C, so 57 is nothing to worry about.

Out of interest, what made you think it was overheating?

Edited by Phnx

Or maybe theres another part of the notebook thats overheating.

I mean you can "feel" when the laptop its hot (over 75º in my case)

and with 57º you wouldnt really feel a thing

Hard drives and CPU can be hot, you can know all temperatures with softwares like everest for example. If your CPU isn't overclocked, you can use rightmark CPU clock Utility to lower the CPU voltage (the minimum voltage possible in the soft is 100% stable for most CPUs). It's very effective (10°C or better to gain, in my case 18°C). For the hard drive(s) you can't do anything more than a notebook cooler without modding the internal cooling system.