LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrade problems

ShadyPenguins

I have an Alienware m5500 that I am trying to upgrade the graphics card on. The system came with an nVidia GeForce 6600 Go and I purchased what turned out to be a Quadro FX 770m as an upgrade.

I used the guide over at MXM-Upgrade to do the install and it worked well. The new card has the same basic shape and design as the old one, so there were no problems installing it. I also cleaned off the thermal interface material from all the relevant parts and replaced it with some AS5. When I turned the laptop on again it beeped 30 times (which wasn't too unexpected) and then booted into Windows. I grabbed the default Win7 driver from Windows Update and then let the system restart itself.

This is where my problems begin. Instead of booting up again, it just stopped. It now beeps 30 times and then beeps once more every 30 seconds. I've tried reseating the card a few times and the only change I've ever seen is that once or twice it didn't beep and appeared to load Windows, but with nothing on the screen. I've also tried loading the most recent two BIOSes for this laptop. They both seem to install fine, but don't make any difference.

I also tried putting the old card back into the system to ensure that it still works. The original card mostly works, but will no longer work with the built-in monitor, though an external one works fine. Windows seems to recognize that the built-in monitor is there but can't display to it. Most of the time it's just a black screen, though sometimes it gets colorful lines, usually vertical ones.

Fortunately, the integrated graphics still work just fine, but I'd like to get at least one of the graphics cards working so I can play games and such. Can anyone tell me if there's anything else I can try to fix this, or at least where the problem is. I.E. if it's a motherboard problem, I won't bother trying to get another graphics card.

Thanks.

Guest Guest

the problem is not the mobo or the video card , the problem is that the bios of the mother board of alineware m55xx or m57xx doesn't support a bios id of the nvidia 9xxxM gs/gt and of fx 770M tha is the same of nvidia 9600M gt.

this problem is impossible to solve. but otherwise is not a big problem( you have to wait a little with this 30se warning) and than for ex. on win xp or vista every thing works well :)

I wasn't too surprised by the 30s wait, it's annoying, but since I don't restart my computers very often, I can live with that. I'm more concerned about the lack of booting after the 30s wait that it's now exhibiting. The first time it booted just fine after the 30s of beeping, but it has refused to do so since. Now, it does the 30s of beeping then does nothing except produce a single beep once every 30s.