LaptopVideo2Go Forums

enabling dualview without rebooting in xp

shin2009

A few months ago I bought an lcd tv and was wery inspired to use it like second monitor for games or hd movies time to time. But I was very surprised that it is impossible to enable dual view mode immediately after plugging TV to working PC (through hdmi using dvi-hdmi adapter). Dualview mode appears in nvidia control panel only after rebooting with TV plugging in. I start to think that this is a new drivers bug or feature. So I decide to ask support from nvidia. After some "Lost In Translation" letters I succeed to explain a problem to supporter, thanks to him for his (or maybe she's O_o) great patience. And this is the answer that I get at last:

After doing further research, I found that the Dualview is handled by the Windows XP Transient Multi Monitor API. As such, it is not up to us but the OS. Unfortunately, Windows XP Transient Multimonitor will not allow you to select Dualview without a reboot if it did not detect at least two monitors connected to the graphics card on startup. This feature was not added to Windows Transient Multimonitor until Windows Vista came out (and also available under Windows 7).

Then I remember that this is why I was using win98 up to 2007 %) - because I don't like winxp annoying feature to not install drivers on a hardware that was switched off during the boot-up. Modem, for example. "Wow, you turn on the modem! Great! Now I must reboot to use it!" O_o What the...? So I realize that dualview was always available in win98 too, and this is system bug, not drivers bug. Win98 is no longer fit to some my programs, as for vista or win7 - I'm not playing modern games. So I decide to fool the system.

I connect to composite video out an rca male connector with 75 Ohms

resistor in it and leave it hanging on the composite videocable.

Afteter forcing the TV detection in the nvidia control panel and

rebooting I have two monitors in the display properties. ALWAYS two

monitors, because windows thinking that there is a TVset in the other

end of the video cable. So dualview mode is now always available in any time I want

for any just-connected TV or monitor without rebootings.

So now I get what I want - dual view without reboot.

I hope this information will be in help to someone.

If your videocard has no video out, only two svga or svga+dvi or two dvi (or something else O_o) you can make a vga dummy instead of composite video dummy. The link is http://soerennielsen.dk/mod/VGAdummy/index_en.php

• 1 month later...
Guest loretta80

After doing further research, I found that the Dualview is handled by the Windows XP Transient Multi Monitor API. As such, it is not up to us but the OS. Unfortunately, Windows XP Transient Multimonitor will not allow you to select Dualview without a reboot if it did not detect at least two monitors connected to the graphics card on startup. This feature was not added to Windows Transient Multimonitor until Windows Vista came out (and also available under Windows 7).

If this is true, what the nvidia hybrid said, why it is possible for ATI graphic cards to enable a "Dualview"-like mode (i forgot Ati's name for it) without a new startup while 2 monitors or TV's are connected? I changed from Ati (XT2400) to nvidia (9600GT) because of their new CUDA acceleration but this is a bug that annoys me to death.