LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 Upgrade Disk

coolcop06

Hey guys, in light of the upcoming release of Windows 7, I have a couple of questions regarding the Windows 7 upgrade disk. I'm looking into the Windows 7 upgrade disk being that it'll save me a cool $100, but I have a couple of questions... doing some of my own research on google, I think i turned up that I CAN use my OEM Dell Vista Ultimate disk to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate, but I just wanted to confirm that this is absolutely true before I actually spend $219 pre-ordering it. Second and last question, my OEM Dell Vista Ultimate disk is x32, and from my understanding the Windows 7 disks come with both x32 and x64. I know I will not be able to upgrade from x32 to x64 keeping all my files on my HDD, but will I be able to use the upgrade disk to do a clean install (using my x32 OEM disk for verification during install) and install x64? Also, I have a *cough cough* pirated disk of Vista x64 (but I use my x32 OEM Key on the pirated copy), can I use that to verify during install? I know its alot, but I want to be sure before I spend my hard earned money!

Thanks alot guys!

Edited by coolcop06

Also be sure if you do need to install your OS from fresh that you don't have to install your previous OS first (hence the upgrade)

This will soon make you wish you paid the extra $100.

I've never gone for Upgrades my self

Your right. Well from what I was reading, seems like people seem to think you can to it either way - either the upgrade option on the disk, which keeps all your files on the disk and overwrites system files, and the clean install, which asks for your previous operating system disk for verification during installation. I hope thi s information is correct. Also, it is able to upgrade from Windows XP, but requires you to do a fresh install, which seems to validate the theory above...

Your right. Well from what I was reading, seems like people seem to think you can to it either way - either the upgrade option on the disk, which keeps all your files on the disk and overwrites system files, and the clean install, which asks for your previous operating system disk for verification during installation. I hope thi s information is correct. Also, it is able to upgrade from Windows XP, but requires you to do a fresh install, which seems to validate the theory above...

I heard it may be different with Windows 7, but with Vista, it didn't ask you for a disk. You could ONLY use an upgrade key to do an upgrade on an existing install, although it did allow you do a full install without entering the key, then do an upgrade to that with your upgrade key. As far as I know, they were only ok with you doing that if you tested the Beta, otherwise you were supposed to buy a full version.

I heard they may go back to the disk check, but ISOs for XP and Vista are relatively easy to come by, so maybe not..