LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best drivers for the 9800m gs?

Guest 0wnfac3

Guest 0wnfac3

Hello,

So basically i'm having some issues with my laptop. I have a g5vt-x1 with the 9800m gs. At first I thought it was related to heat, but I believe it's a driver issue. I'll get crashes, freezes, artifacts, etc at random times while gaming. Sometimes it happens after 30 seconds, sometimes it happens after 30 minutes, sometimes I can play for 2 hours just fine. It's happened in Dawn of War 2, Mirror's Edge, and once in Rainbow 6 Vegas 2. However, i've had no issues playing through the new Wolverine Origins game. I've been using the 186.03 drivers from nvidia and have read a few posts from various messageboards about people having issues as well. I've tried the 185.85 drivers and the same thing happens. I read somewhere that the 190.15 drivers here have fixed the issues for some, which i'm going to try later. I'm hoping it's no a faulty card.

I was just wondering for those that have the same card and/or laptop, which drivers do you use?

Guest Jazzy Jeff

I have the same card. I updated to the newest 190.56 drivers with the modded inf; no issues so far.

However, since updating to Windows 7, I've been having some heat issues with it. Dunno why though...

Guest 0wnfac3

I have the same card. I updated to the newest 190.56 drivers with the modded inf; no issues so far.

However, since updating to Windows 7, I've been having some heat issues with it. Dunno why though...

Alright i'm gonna try using 190.56 and see how it goes. I'm on Vista 64, i'll let you know if I have any heat issues. Could just be that the drivers run a little hot.

At the moment I'm using the 190.56 driver and so far I've also didn't found any issue. I'm using this driver in combination with the Quadro FX 1600M and the GeForce 9800M GS.

@0wnfac3: Could your read out your idle temp and load temp with nTune or GPU-Z?

Guest 0wnfac3

At the moment I'm using the 190.56 driver and so far I've also didn't found any issue. I'm using this driver in combination with the Quadro FX 1600M and the GeForce 9800M GS.

@0wnfac3: Could your read out your idle temp and load temp with nTune or GPU-Z?

Downloaded the 190.56 drivers and i've been using them for about two hours with no issues. Mirror's Edge did crash once after installing them, but after some googling, I found that the game has some crashing/freezing issues related to nvidia cards due to Phys-X. I downloaded a patch for the game and since have had zero issues. If it happens again i'll try just turning off physx. I'm thinking the problem may have been more of the game itself and less to due with the drivers, but i've had no issues with Dawn of War 2 either since upgrading to 190.56.

I didn't monitor the temps much yet(use CPUID HW monitor pro)except for about 45 minutes of Dawn of War 2, but the load temp peaked at 86 degrees which is pretty high. With the old drivers the peak was 82. However, I did run the performance test twice for the in-game video settings and then jumped right into the campaign. The card idles around 50. I'll do some more thorough testing later. These are with no laptop cooler either.