LaptopVideo2Go Forums

gf 7950 gtx on vista

d6x

"upgraded" from xp to vista

on xp i still had a 167 gfx driver version installed and everything worked fine

on vista according to nvidia.com the recommended driver is 179.48 for my 7950gtx

but i get slow downs in games with these, game runs really smooth up to 1 or 2 mins and then all of a sudden it feels like slomo

if i alt tab out of the game and go back in it runs smooth again for some time

any suggestions? first i thought the gfx card is getting too hot, but i dont have this issue when in XP (i'm running a dual boot installation) is it a driver issue or do i have to check sth else first? any other driver suggestions than the 179.48?

• 2 weeks later...

thx, the driver works pretty well (and my gfx card is not getting as warm as with the other one i think)

but it didnt fix my problem :/

any other suggestions?

Guest John J

thx, the driver works pretty well (and my gfx card is not getting as warm as with the other one i think)

but it didnt fix my problem :/

any other suggestions?

I had the same problem a while back and I resolved it by cleaning the fans and the air exits of the laptop. You need to be carefull doing this cause it can void your warranty if you still have it.

My laptop is a Dell XPS M1710 and the graphic card is a GeForce 7950GTX 512MB.

I could play for around 2 minutes before starting to go really slow. This happened in most games. After cleaning up the fans I could play non stop :)

The issue is that these graphics cards heat up a lot and if you don't have a good air flow to cool it down you will have a big performance decrease and can also shutdown your laptop to avoid any major issue due to the heat. I believe that Vista can make games run a bit faster and because of that it will make your gfx card heat up a bit more than in XP.

At least this was my problem. Maybe it will work for you too.

Regards,

JJ

• 5 weeks later...

yeah thx, its a heat problem, turning off physx (software) + turning on powermizer helps

• 4 weeks later...

anyone got an idea/tutorial how i could renew the cooling paste on the gfx chip of my notebook?

Nexoc Osiris E703 III (Clevo M570u)

Edited by d6x