LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HELL WITH DELL?????

Animagus

now this is an issue which needs to b discussed.......

people buy DELL laptops as it is highly customizable.....but i have seen these laptops as more of a troublesome kind....it is not merely coincidence that 7 of my friends have purchased high end dell laptops and r suffering from some or the other sort of hardware failure.....3 of the laptops have had a total motherboard replacement a couple of times,3 r dealing with charger failure.....and nearly all r experiencing overheating problems resulting in system crashing down.....

i just need all ur honest comments on this....if n e one is facing similar problem please feel free to share....we spend loads of bucks over these things n we should surely get the satisfaction post purchase...

now this is an issue which needs to b discussed.......

people buy DELL laptops as it is highly customizable.....but i have seen these laptops as more of a troublesome kind....it is not merely coincidence that 7 of my friends have purchased high end dell laptops and r suffering from some or the other sort of hardware failure.....3 of the laptops have had a total motherboard replacement a couple of times,3 r dealing with charger failure.....and nearly all r experiencing overheating problems resulting in system crashing down.....

i just need all ur honest comments on this....if n e one is facing similar problem please feel free to share....we spend loads of bucks over these things n we should surely get the satisfaction post purchase...

haha.. i have an xps 1730 and it was all fine but i did notice that if i wasnt using the ik8fangui my system would have suffered lotsa overheating problems from day 1.

my 8800mgtxs in sli give me distortion when i connect an external monitor and sli enabled in games. its not the monitor and so far ive been chasing dell regarding the issue for more than a year and now im demanding a replacement to an alienware system which they claim they are deciding(have already taken 3 weeks) on whether to do that or not.

theyve changed my graphics cards 4 times and motherboard 3 times cause the first change was to see if it cured the distortion but it ended up giving overheat problems. the subsequent changes were the same.

what country are you from? i think dell asia pacific really sucks badly as ive seen on many other forums that xps 1730 users are getting alienware replacements without having to chase dell and all they faced was a spoil graphic card.

Thats why I stopped buying Dell and started buying Clevo.

Of course even Clevo isn't up to my standards yet, which is why I'm building my own now.

haha clevo isnt available here in my country and theres no way i can get custom notebook parts unless i pay lots for shipping. dell is still the only one selling proper gaming laptops. i thought their customer service was supposed to be good according to papers and magazines but apparently they've spent the money on buying reviews than on upgrading their services

haha.. i have an xps 1730 and it was all fine but i did notice that if i wasnt using the ik8fangui my system would have suffered lotsa overheating problems from day 1.

my 8800mgtxs in sli give me distortion when i connect an external monitor and sli enabled in games. its not the monitor and so far ive been chasing dell regarding the issue for more than a year and now im demanding a replacement to an alienware system which they claim they are deciding(have already taken 3 weeks) on whether to do that or not.

theyve changed my graphics cards 4 times and motherboard 3 times cause the first change was to see if it cured the distortion but it ended up giving overheat problems. the subsequent changes were the same.

what country are you from? i think dell asia pacific really sucks badly as ive seen on many other forums that xps 1730 users are getting alienware replacements without having to chase dell and all they faced was a spoil graphic card.

m from India n i totally agree wid u that dell asia pacific totally sucks!!

infact many of my friends who use dell come to me for troubleshooting rather than trying the customer care coz of the above reason.......btw i'hv been using a HP notebook of late n m really satisfied with the customer care....

Wanna know why your cards are dying? Quit trying to use an old app like i8kfangui to control the fans... lol it will kill it for sure.

Wanna know why your cards are dying? Quit trying to use an old app like i8kfangui to control the fans... lol it will kill it for sure.

my cards arent dying.. as far as i know i8kfangui is the only one that supports at least 2 fans in my system and ive set the threshold to max the fan speeds very low so they turn on to max speed very often which keeps the system relatively cool@60-70 degrees compared to without that program where the fans only turn on at around 80-90 degrees.

• 1 month later...

my cards arent dying.. as far as i know i8kfangui is the only one that supports at least 2 fans in my system and ive set the threshold to max the fan speeds very low so they turn on to max speed very often which keeps the system relatively cool@60-70 degrees compared to without that program where the fans only turn on at around 80-90 degrees.

You really need to research this, i8kfangui is an old program now, the xps M1730 has 3 cooling fans, but i8kfangui can only control 2! You WILL have hardware failures due to overheating if you continue to use this old program on the m1730.

At present, there is no program that can control the 3 fans on this laptop. What you're best of doing is using dox's 185.85 driver which has the powermizer which will clock down the cards when you are using 2d processes (ie not gaming!) this will keep your idle temp nice and low. The bios itself will kick all 3 fans in when your graphics cards hit about 70 ish, and providing your laptop isn't full of dust they shouldn't go above a max of 85.

Download speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php This will allow you to monitor the temps (but not interfere with the cooling).