LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M on Amilo m3438g

soflip

Hello,

I've just received a 8600M GT to replace my 6800. As you can see in the picture:

there is no 4 nuts in the 8600M (like in the 6800) so I can't screw the heatsink ...

Do you think that is enough with the CPU and bottom-right screws?

Any idea?

Regards!

Edited by soflip

Hello,

I've just received a 8600M GT to replace my 6800. As you can see in the picture:

there is no 4 nuts in the 8600M (like in the 6800) so I'can screw the heatsink ...

Do you think that is enough with the CPU and bottom-right screws?

Any idea?

Regards!

Certainly not. You wouldn't have any pressure on the GPU and therefore no or insufficient cooling and you could fry your card within seconds :)

Either you glue some nuts of the right size onto the holes with superglue and fasten the screws that way, or you stick the right-sized bolts through the holes with the thread upwards (maybe some washers too), and fasten the card's heatsink with the right nuts on the top.

Take care that no metallic part touches either the card's or the mainboard's electronical components

This approach might take a bit off milling/drilling of the heatsink, but no fastening of the heatsink from the top to the card is a NO-GO.

Edited by quipster

Certainly not. You wouldn't have any pressure on the GPU and therefore no or insufficient cooling and you could fry your card within seconds :)

Either you glue some nuts of the right size onto the holes with superglue and fasten the screws that way, or you stick the right-sized bolts through the holes with the thread upwards (maybe some washers too), and fasten the card's heatsink with the right nuts on the top.

Take care that no metallic part touches either the card's or the mainboard's electronical components

This approach might take a bit off milling/drilling of the heatsink, but no fastening of the heatsink from the top to the card is a NO-GO.

Thanks!

I milled the heatsink and I could also fix it to the graph card. As the heatsink is closest to the GPU (closest than with 6800), I dind't put thermal pad in the GPU, only in the memory chips. For th GPU I put thermal paste. The "office" temp was 75º, I think a bit high.

I don't know if I should put also thermal pad to the GPU...

The fan is working as exepected.

I didn't try any game yet.

Regards!