Jump to content
LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware m9750, time to let go


Acidvenom

Recommended Posts

Well, It is now approaching 2 years since I bought this machine, costing not only an arm and a leg, but also all my patience. I have now a very firm belief in: Laptop + Gaming = Keep dreaming.

The main problem that I have recently encountered, as everyone does with a mobile system, is overheating. Now with a system costing around £2000+, I would have expected at least for some effort on Alienware's part to make the system work for gaming, and not deteriorate after 1 year, but I guess I was mistaken. Believe me, I have tried everything from underclocking, to cleaning out the dust from my vents and even so far as to applying AC5, but no avail.

You see, my system idles at around 80'C, which is just stupidly high. My CPU is at 75'C, GPU0 at 80'C, and GPU1 at around 90'C. I mean, before I made any effort to cool down my system, it would overheat by just browsing the web.

I see no more hope for this radiator, would you guys know any other tactics to cool it down, or should I just save up £700 for a custom desktop?

Thanks,

Acidvenom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

have you tried opening up the laptop and cleaning out the dust? if it's pretty clean maybe you may need to replace the fans (which is expensive, unfortunately).

i've had my dell inspiron e1705 for almost 3 years now and my gpu died on me a couple months ago from extreme overheating. turns out a reapplication of thermal paste and heat transfer glue fixed my overheating problems and resurrected my gpu.....so maybe you could try reapplying thermal paste, etc. to your various pc parts.

don't lose hope yet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that, will try it right away, it seems now my CPU causes my secondary GPU to overheat, so I will go crazy with thermal paste and see what happens :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i just completly dissasembled and reassembled a toshiba tecra m2 so i could give it a good go over and cool paint job i found dust in there i would not have found just by blowing out vents let alone had access to. the under side of the mother board had some light dust bunnies wich were only accesable via taking it apart. also you can take apart pc fans and i'm betting laptop fans it will be a bitt harder with those untral tiny plastic c clips but if you clean outthe inside of the fan and use some vasiline it might help i've added vasiline to dekstop fans to shut'em up after squeking. sorry forthe bad typos i let firefox spoil me and i'm on IE atm.

also maybe there is a bios update to fix it, sounds to me like the fan is not doing it's part or atleast notthe way it used to.

Edited by cdoublejj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...