LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GF 8600M GS 1080p/60Hz issues

Link Strife

Hi, been here quite a few times, but this is my first post here^^

So, my problem is that when I connect my notebook to my 42" Full HD LCD TV via hdmi, can't get a fullscreen 1080p/60Hz picture output!!!

I have recently switched OS from Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I used to be able to watch Bluray's and other HD stuff in 1080p on the tv, with a smooth refresh rate. I'm guessing it used to give 60Hz, because I really noticed a difference with 25Hz.

Now my notebook is working perfectly, except for this!! Tried a few different drivers, and so far when sending 1080p via HDMI, at best I can choose between fullscreen with 25Hz, or a 60Hz picture which does NOT use all 1920x1080 pixels! The TV still interprets it as 1080p though.

So, I can choose to have (a)SLOW/Skipping fullscreen picture, or (b)Smooth, non-fullscreen picture. Really annoying:p

My GPU is the nVidia 8600M GS.

The old driver I used to use was 32-bit 175.80. This same driver for 64-bit gives fullscreen 1080p/25Hz, or a smaller 60Hz picture!

(Also, my BD-playing program, Play Movie, gave the error message that it could not play the protectetd content (on both pc and tv), either because Aero was NOT enabled, or because screen capturing was not disabled. (Must be because of the screen capture)).

Anyways, here are my findings so far with the different drivers:

175.80: FULL 1080p/25Hz, or SMALL 1080p/60Hz.

179.67 FULL 1080p/25Hz, no option for 60Hz. (CURRENTLY IN USE)

181.22: FULL 1080p/25Hz, or SMALL 1080p/60Hz.

190.40: I think this one would not even let me play BD

Specs:

GPU: nVidia 8600M GS

NOTEBOOK: Acer Aspire 5920G

MEM: 4GB DDR2

Connection to TV: HDMI

TV: Philips 42PFL3604D picture--> http://www.elkjop.no/product/lyd-bilde/tv/42PFL3604D/philips-42-lcd-tv?Selected=Specifications#tProductTabcontent

ANY help would be much appreciated :) hope my only option in the end will not be switching back to vista! :)

I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking that your card is just barely able to run at the settings with the older drivers. The newer drivers added new features, which may slow your card down enough to where it can't handle that with the new drivers.

I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking that your card is just barely able to run at the settings with the older drivers. The newer drivers added new features, which may slow your card down enough to where it can't handle that with the new drivers.

thanks for the quick reply :)

Yes, I'm HOPING that it's simply a driver issue, but I can't test it out atm, because the TV is at my dad's place:p

I've just spent today downloading a S***LOAD of drivers from ltv2g :)

So maybe I should start with the older ones if no luck with the newest ones...

I'm not sure if the older drivers will work with Windows 7 though.. You may also want to try some from NVIDIA's site.

There are no drivers on Nvidia's site that aren't here. :)

I'm not sure if the older drivers will work with Windows 7 though.. You may also want to try some from NVIDIA's site.

I'll just have to try...

True :)

I was recommending that because I don't think that it is always clear on here which are official drivers for a specific card without the modified INF. From my own experience on my machines, only about 1 in 10 have been really stable with the modified INF. The drivers on their site are the versions they released for most laptop cards, not one or two models.

All drivers here have the source named and the original cards supported.

Hi! Problem solved! :P

So, this turned out to be a driver problem. Ran Driver Sweeper (sort of.. not sure if it cleared everything)

Anyway, first driver I tried was 186.13 64-bit Vista/7 ACER - and it worked! :w00t:

This one gives the option of 1080x1920 (60/50/30Hz and 25/24/23Hz I think). And they all seem to be uncut fullscreen. My TV says 1080p, so I guess it's progressive scan too;) Watched Ghost Town in 1080p.. ok movie, SMOOTH picture!:)

I'm currently using the nVidia driver v186.13 however, I have two minor annoying "issues" with this driver:

1: When I right click on the Desktop, there's no option for "nVidia Control Panel", like there used to be. There is, however, a different nVidia control panel. To get to this, I have to right click on the Desktop->Screen Resolution->Right click on selected display->Properties. Then go to the GeForce tab and select "Additional Properties...". This menu is smaller and offers fewer options than the one I used to have. Also, it does not give the option of scaling the desktop to ensure the screen fits the display.. Np with this so far though, as it seems to sort this out by itself :) .

2: Every time I start windows, the Digital vibrance is set to approx. 80 %! Miles too much colour!!! This "fixes" itself though if I simply enter the nVidia control panel. I may have killed this bug for good too, by saving a custom profile with 0 % "Digital" vibrance;)

So, my problem is solved... anything I need to do about this thread? Close it or something? If so, how? Sorry, I'm a forum noob :unsure: ...