LaptopVideo2Go Forums

F-S MXM UPGRADE x1400>8600GT doesn't boot

Guest K2K

Hello everyone.

I wish someone could help me out. I've installed the new card 8600M GT into lappy without any problems, everything fits, just the notebook doesn't start. It keeps resetting after a few seconds upon booting, no screen at all, I've resetted the BIOS. And I haven't done any modifications to any BIOSes, either the one of the lappy and the card.

I would be grateful for ANY thorough answer, thanks in advance.

smells like damaged GPU if you're expreienced enought.

which bios do you have?

on Both card and Laptop?

Where does it come from?

How much ram on both and design?

DDR3 Version with 256MB? Laptop on 4GB RAM as exsample

Why did you chose the 8600M GT? just for my interest ;-)

Bios Flashed to alienware?

Edited by Meins321

The BIOS of the F-S version is 1.20, I haven't tried anything to flash it, 'cause I'm afraid of having the lappy 'bricked'. The BIOS in the card is unknown. The card is supposed to be a 256 DDR2 VRAM desing, though I can only suppose that it has that much, no option to try it out anywhere. I've got a Dell notebook with the same card, but I've read that Dell is out of the MXM-idea. I might give it a try if I won't find any other way to check the card. The configuration of the Amilo Pi 1536 is:

C2D 1,66 Ghz,

ATI Mobility x1400,

2x 1GB of GOODRAMs DDR2 533 Mhz

I've chosen the GT because of the price, it was so low that it is already making me think that the GPU is melted anyway.

Is there anyway to check the card apart from having my second unit 'rapped' by a screwdriver ?? :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Help, anyone ?

I am still unable to check if the card is ok, and would be grateful if given any advice, so please, help me guys :f

Definitely sounds like the card is lunched. Only other way to ultimately confirm is to test it in another machine. I know this thread goes backa little now. Did you fix the problem?

• 4 weeks later...

I am running an amilo xi1546 which is essentially the same machine with the 8600gt 512mb card. If you want someone to test it I'm quite happy to do so, just send me a message.

cheers

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'd be glad to do so, but sadly, I'm unable to contact you in any way. Registrations are blocked until further notice from what I can gather.

send me an email jaseyfacey@googlemail.com