LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Something wrong with my GF 8600M GT?

Guest Sawtyss

Guest Sawtyss

Well I've just installed the newest drivers today (186.xx), and overclocked the GPU a bit (600/1200/500).

Then I gave 3DMark06 a first try in my life... And the results... Well they are weird... See yourself:

http://service.futuremark.com/home.action;jsessionid=8DA54ED642A11B18F8673A175B2F1596

Do you guys have any idea what could've happened? Why do SM 3.0 rate so low?:/

Your results should be around 4-7k probably for standard total score with OC on that GPU. That link isn't working though so we can't see your scores.

Oops! Sorry about that :-/

My results are at 2.4k not 4k+ :-( That's why I'm worried... Here's a screenshot:

omgmus.png

As for the rest of the system then as you can see it's C2D T5750, and 4GB DDR2

Oh and I've already tested the newest drivers from NVidia site, newest Dox's version, and newest version from this site (all had comparable performance which makes me think its a CPU problem?)

It's Dox's 185.85 + OC (600/1450/450) result on the screen

Edited by sawtyss

My GF8700M GTs get around 5-6k in 3dmark06 in XP when not in SLI. I haven't done much non-SLI benchmarks or overclocking on these, but the highest I ever got was about 9200 in SLI. (non OCed)

You should get similar performance in XP with the same processor.

Its possible that maybe a quad really does get you a much higher score. (your laptop dual core vs desktop core 2 quad could have a difference well over 1000 points.)

If you could OC your CPU we could make a comparison to my Clevo system.

Its really time you got something newer to game on though. Nvidia's next ION system iGPU will be faster than that GPU.

My GTX 275 (~$250) gets over 18,000 with my Q9650 OCed in XP64.

There is something wrong with that result.

Start off by disabling powermizer with the app in this thread:

You guys still have powermizer issues with these newer drivers?

I would think it would work in 3dmark06 if anything.

Yeah you would think so, but worth a try.

Thanks for you feedback guys :-) And yeah I will be getting something newer as soon, as I earn some money for it :-) But for now I need to cope with what I have so the problem stays :-(

So first: I don't think I can OC my CPU, because there is no public way to do that on my laptop (it's same as Compal IFL90)

Secondly: Disabling Powermizer was the first thing I've done when this started happening, so its not causing the problem :/

I've just done a clean install of Windows 7 x64 (was going to do that anyways :-P), and will post an update as soon as I get it to work

UPDATE:

Well a clean install of windows didn't help a thing.. It still is about 2.5k 3dmarks :)

Edited by sawtyss

You are plugged in and on high performance mode aren't you?

Guest CONSCRIPT...

Yes do check that you're computer's power settings is set to High Performance <-- probably the main culprit.

Make sure u install/update all of your drivers including chipset.

Make sure u downloaded/installed the lastest DirectX

if not...i had this problem with my laptop where it would run really slowly even on high performance so i would just unplug the power out of the wallsocket and laptop and then wait like 5 min then plug everything back in. (tho i think that mite have had to do with a bad power adapter since i havent had a problem after replacing it)

Well I've just checked that :/ System is on full performance, plugged in, tried that power supply trick, and nothing :-(

DirectX, chipset, graphics, and memory drivers are the newest version.

If you use GPUz, what are the clocks when it is under load?

Powermizer has already been disabled, so it's not downclocking on me... It is 650/1425/450 under load, just as I wanted it to be. Can it be some issue with 3DMark?

• 1 month later...

Powermizer has already been disabled, so it's not downclocking on me... It is 650/1425/450 under load, just as I wanted it to be. Can it be some issue with 3DMark?

there is defiantly something wrong, i thing this is and issue with how your system is setup, this might be bloat ware, useless stuff running in the back, try installing win xp professional (it has least amount of bloat) or go disabling running programs. anti virus, system monitors mess with hardware i/o and can effect performance of task critical programs (stuttering)

when 8600 reaches 110c(or 103+7) it will permanently lock the clocks to slow till next boot. make sure your temperature is not over 100c!!

finally if that doesn't fix it, it's a video card issue(driver or hardware) try to wipe out your current driver with driver sweeper, then do a clean install of a stock nvidia laptop driver. if that doesn't fix it try using riva tuner to force performance mode(google for a tutorial)

if that doesn't fix it flash your video bios to a version with a good reputation. past this point if it's not fixed you are screwed

i get about 5000 with a 8600m get ddr3 oced to 590/1500/910 and oced cpu to 2400mhz and the 19X.XX drivers good luck

there is defiantly something wrong, i thing this is and issue with how your system is setup, this might be bloat ware, useless stuff running in the back, try installing win xp professional (it has least amount of bloat) or go disabling running programs. anti virus, system monitors mess with hardware i/o and can effect performance of task critical programs (stuttering)

when 8600 reaches 110c(or 103+7) it will permanently lock the clocks to slow till next boot. make sure your temperature is not over 100c!!

finally if that doesn't fix it, it's a video card issue(driver or hardware) try to wipe out your current driver with driver sweeper, then do a clean install of a stock nvidia laptop driver. if that doesn't fix it try using riva tuner to force performance mode(google for a tutorial)

if that doesn't fix it flash your video bios to a version with a good reputation. past this point if it's not fixed you are screwed

i get about 5000 with a 8600m get ddr3 oced to 590/1500/910 and oced cpu to 2400mhz and the 19X.XX drivers good luck

sorry forgot to mention the most obvious reason: look in your nvidia setting under 3d quality, and put everything to low, and performance!! thats what is used to get these high scores LOLZ!!!