LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Can't install drivers for NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 on a Sony VAIO VGN-SZ4MRN/B

loralora

Hello. I've been trying to install a driver for NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 on a Sony VAIO VGN-SZ4MRN/B for the last few days, but it hasn't been working.

Here's what I did:

1. Some time ago the laptop's been downgraded from Windows Vista Business x86 to XP and the Stamina/Speed switch stopped working (the stamina light was on regardless of the position of the switch).

2. I recently reinstalled Vista, Service Pack 1, all updates and new drivers for the laptop, but the switch has not regained functionality and Device Manager did not show NVIDIA, only Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family.

3. "Show hidden" revealed a second Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family.

4. I installed the 19107 driver for Windows 7/Vista 32-bit using the Modded INF for the second chipset. During setup I was asked if the driver was for the chipset family or the controller and I chose chipset family.

5. When I rebooted the laptop i saw that Device Manager showed Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family and NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400, but the NVIDIA drivers were not the correct ones.

6. I removed the driver using Driver Cleaner and tried to install the 18566 driver, but it failed.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

You can't install nvidia graphics drivers for an intel chipset, nor is it a "second" chipset.

Install the intel chipset drivers first:

Then install your choice of nvidia graphics drivers from this site. 186.82 or Dox 185.85 are good choices.

• 1 month later...