LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need help installing a video driver

Bycote

Hi, I am setting up an old Dell Inspiron 8000 with a Windows 98SE operating system. The VGA in this thing is a GeForce2 Go and I am simply trying to find and install a good video driver on this system that will allow the display to be viewed in 1600x1200 resolution.

Here is where I'm at - I have downloaded nVidia's old Detonator 53.04 Win9x driver and I've extracted the files onto the laptop's hard drive (obviously, attempting to install the drivers fails). I have also downloaded your modified INF files for the 53.04 driver. Now I have no idea what to do. I expected to overwrite the INF file (Nvagp.inf) in the driver package that I extracted, but no INF file by this name is included in your downloads. So I really have no idea what to do and I will be very grateful to anyone who can help me get a video driver installed on this thing, I've been trying for too long!

I would attach a nerd log but when I double-clicked the nerd1086.cmd file Windows 98 asked me what program I would like to use to open the file, so I said eff it.

I finally got it working. There seems to be a problem with this site's file hosting. Most of the Windows 9x drivers and their modified INF files are missing from the server so I thought I could get those modified INF files from the forum thread, but they weren't included in that download either. I just had to keep checking different Win9x drivers until I found one that is still on the server.

So it seems to be working now. Thank you to the person who took the time to modify this driver to work on my system! :^)