• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Galdere

• destruya

• Carlos_rpg

GPU cooked for 10min at preheated to 200degC oven.

Now cooling down.

Heatpipe fell off so a good sign that the solder has melted.

The card didn't melt :)

ASUS, another safe option for the needs that I have.

Must go and have a look at the new notebooks.

Acer, I like the look and feel of Acer lappies BUT the cursed WLAN and it's relying on Acers special app to work.

Unless Acer have changed WLAN will NOT work on non ACER OEM Windows.

I can't remember the Acer app but it has the software switch to enable WLAN with out it = no WLAN.

So you can't install a different OS (non Acer) and have the WLAN working.

Other than that nothing wrong with Acer.

HP/Compaq is out as it's whitelisted WLAN has very limited cards that work.

Are you talking about using your own custom WLAN cards for the Acer problem? If it's the WLAN that came with the machine you're talking about then I got WinXP and Win7 to work with the WLAN just fine :P Sorry if I misunderstood your point, was just intrigued by your comment.

Great going with the baking! Now that you've been through such tough times with the graphics card and managed to revive it, you must love it even more :)

I've seen quite a few Acers that the WLAN only works with the Acer app to enable it via software.

If Acer have done away with this (lets hope they have) all the better.

Can't for the life of me remember what the app is called.

I had already gone through one video card and would have been on my third if I ended up getting a replacement.

Putting dead hard drives in the freezer can bring them back to life as well. :)

Works even better with a sprinkling of Chocolate Chips and the drive in a cone ?

Will it work with a desktop graphic card? (8800 ultra)

It's been done with all sorts of BROKEN gear, Video cards, Motherboards etc.

Remove any platic/rubber bits etc first.

Check some of the links above to other folk with their results of all sorts of stuff bought back from the dead.

Bought some Arctic Silver Epoxy to replace the solder for the heatpipes. Yay or nay on this?

Should work better than solder.

Not heard the fans on as much of late, might be the artic silver drawing heat onto the pipe better ?

Hi Guys, I am am in a similar situation here, two months ago my HP DV9657(GeForce 8600M) died, video problem. I can boot up the system, but I can't see almost nothing only green and white lines every where.

What do u think, should I try the Baker Trick?

Let's Say I am a really newbie so am really afraid to place a whole notebook motherboard in a 200ºC oven =)

Sorry for my bad english.

Edited by Carlos_rpg

This is tested and it works but do it on your own risk! I don't recommend newbies doing this better let somebody with experience do it for you!

I dont think I can find someone with Card Baker expertise around here! :)

Edited by Carlos_rpg

You should contact HP about your 8600M, as many have an extended warranty due to a known fault with them.

My notebook was acquire in a travel (Canada), HP Brazil do not cover warranty here. I tried - They Sucks! :)

I think I can try baker it , or sell it... or maybe baker it and then sell it broken anyway or its parts (if doesn't work) :)

Edited by Carlos_rpg

Guest atreidae

I had the samething happen to my i9400 after my son sat on it (hurr)

I did the heatgun trick and it worked for a while and died again.

ended up buying an XPS 1340 sold the 9400 without the gs in it..

needed something smaller anyway

• 1 month later...
Guest Nico XPS

Hello everyone,

First, sorry if my english is a little poor. I'm from Holland.

But I really want to say: The oven trick works!

I own a Dell XPS m1710.

My graphics card ( nvidia geforce go7900gts with 512 mb) died recently.

Contacted Dell and heard it was out of warranty.

They send me an offer: €810,- and the card (a refurbished one)was replaced.

I didn't agree with this.

I don't trust e-bay (bad expierences in the past).

So, I tried the oven trick.

And guess what... Here I am typing this message for all with the same problems from my repaired notebook.

I hope that I can help someone out with this message!

But: Be carefull!

Always work with the original manuals & instructions.

Dismount the cooling plates and heat-sinks

Put in the oven for 6 minutes at 150 degrees CELSIUS

Cool off

Re-assemble

Yours sincerely,

Nico (again a proud XPS-owner!)

Question:

Why would you leave the heatpipe assembly on in the first place - why not just bake the PCB like the Hardforum thread? If anything it looks like you'd want the PCB as bare as possible.

Question:

Why would you leave the heatpipe assembly on in the first place - why not just bake the PCB like the Hardforum thread? If anything it looks like you'd want the PCB as bare as possible.

The heatpipe is soldered to the heatsink which is attached with torx screws to the PCB

Leaving it all in one piece only meant the heatpipe falling off due to melted solder, which was easily put back on.

Oh, I know the heatpipes are soldered on - my question is wouldn't this work without leaving that part on, so you wouldn't *have* to worry about the pipes' solder melting?

When I ovened my card, I took it all apart, so the heat sinks didnt melt. Either way, it does the same thing, softens the solder on the card so it flows into any cracks.

• 3 months later...

Come home from work this afternoon and open the Laptop lid, all seemed well at first.

Then noticed fans were wizzing full tilt and then the Notebook switched off.

Having been through this before I knew what to do.

Once again out came the GPU, on went the oven to 180.

Preheated oven for 15min put the GPU in, left it in there for 10min.

This time round wasn't getting my hopes up as a 2nd bake would surely not revive it again.

But it did, what a hoot, just as well, am rather reliant on my old trusty steed :)

Whahaha briljant never heard of it, will keep this option in the back of my head... :)

samen as the Harddisk Deepfreeze option... that saved my data for 95% 2times allready *whoot*

Edited by g60force

I just went through the procedure of heating my NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7900 GS video card to 200 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes and it is working fine so far. I went ahead and took the heat pipe off (unscrewing the star screws) because I did not have any heat conducting glue to glue it back on with (I suppose I could have soldered it back on but thought I'd rather avoid the extra work if I could). So far the video card is working fine again and is running at about the same temp it was before, was running at 62 deg. C and now is running at 61 degrees C. (Great little program that i8fanGUI) I'm hoping it will work well for awhile.

Thanks for this procedure.

Museic

• 2 years later...
Guest Iridion & Evolution

Thanks for the TIP !!!

We had a messed up Acer Aspire 7720G with an Nvidia 8600M GT MXM grafic card on board.

Backed the card as instructed for 10 minuten in my old smudgy gas oven and IT WORKED AGAIN !!! :dude:

Thank your very much for your usefull post.

Kind regards,

Evolution & Iridion