LaptopVideo2Go Forums

best video card upgrade for the Area 51 m5550i R3

Guest Matt

So, as the topic says, I'm looking for the most reliable video card upgrade for the Alienware Area 51 m5550i R3 (uniwill p53IN model) Laptop. I've got the Nvidia go7600 in there right now and I'm looking to move up to something faster. I did a search and I couldn't find anything that addressed my particular situation. I've upgraded the bios to the 2.07 release so that I can utilize 4 gigs of ram. I've heard that the ATI hd3650 is a good one, will it work with the bios upgrade in place? are there any newer cards that will also work with this model laptop? basically what I'm looking for is a card that I'll be able to put in with a minimum of hassle that will provide me with a good performance boost. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

So, as the topic says, I'm looking for the most reliable video card upgrade for the Alienware Area 51 m5550i R3 (uniwill p53IN model) Laptop. I've got the Nvidia go7600 in there right now and I'm looking to move up to something faster. I did a search and I couldn't find anything that addressed my particular situation. I've upgraded the bios to the 2.07 release so that I can utilize 4 gigs of ram. I've heard that the ATI hd3650 is a good one, will it work with the bios upgrade in place? are there any newer cards that will also work with this model laptop? basically what I'm looking for is a card that I'll be able to put in with a minimum of hassle that will provide me with a good performance boost. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

Hello Matt,

The best possible video card to upgrade to is a Nvidia 8600m GT. Before i got my beast of a laptop (XPS m1730 with Dual SLI 9800m GTX) i owned an Alienware m5500 and successfully upgraded the ATI X700 video card to the 8600m GT. COD 5 worked extremely well as well as UT3, WoW and other games. So go with the 8600m GT and you will be happy.

Be careful where your get your card from. I have the same system, but never got an 8600m GT to work on it, all which were picked up from ebay. Mxm-upgrade's card should be fine though.

check this out:

• 6 months later...

Hello Matt,

The best possible video card to upgrade to is a Nvidia 8600m GT. Before i got my beast of a laptop (XPS m1730 with Dual SLI 9800m GTX) i owned an Alienware m5500 and successfully upgraded the ATI X700 video card to the 8600m GT. COD 5 worked extremely well as well as UT3, WoW and other games. So go with the 8600m GT and you will be happy.

Were you running windows 7 64bit and if so where did you find the driver for the 8600m gt? Mahalo for the help

• 1 year later...