LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell d820 Win 7 x64 Touchpad drivers

ArmedMonkey

So I've tried about all of the ones in the thread with all the drivers, and I can't find one that works right.

Some are designed for a different type of touchpad (with 3 buttons), so none of the buttons work, but the cursor works right

Others let the buttons work, but the cursor jitters like mad when i press my finger down on the touchpad

Finally, some just won't go on x64 windows.

Dell's site is useless - they don't offer me any drivers for x64 on this model.

Can someone help plz?

Try using the ALPS (or synaptics if your touchpad isn't an alps) touchpad driver from a newer latitude (like an e6xxx), that works for me

Mine's ALPS. If yours is ALPS too, do you remember which specific version and laptop you got the drivers from?

• 4 months later...

Best Solution for Dell Laptops

I think it's pretty clear that Dell's ALPS drivers for Windows 7 suck.

True there's a new GUI.

True the resume-from-standby bug is fixed.

However, there is no way to disable the touchpad while typing!

If you want better drivers than Dell has to offer and you want full functionality, go to the following website:

support.acer.com

Then choose the Windows 7 ALPS driver for the Aspire 5741G.

This was released on 3/9/2010 and has drivers dating from January 8, 2010. They are more recent and more fully-functional than any Toshiba or Dell drivers I have found so far. Sony also uses ALPS trackpads, but drivers are harder to find on their website, and the only recent ALPS drivers seem to be multi-touch-exclusive. Also, there is a system-verification-check on all of Sony's driver packages.

This driver is unbranded, which is nice.

You should uninstall your previous ALPS driver, reboot, then install this one with administrator privileges, then reboot.

If you are asked whether you want to run the driver files (such as apoint.exe, etc.) just uncheck "Always ask" and hit run for the 2 or 3 executables that require permissions. Note that you will never have to do this again after reboot!

This driver works well with all NON-multitouch ALPS trackpads, regardless of age. Note that the "disable trackpad while typing" option is not user-accessible in this driver, but it is permanently on, which I think is ideal. If you don't like this default, switch back to the Dell drivers. I also like that you can disable tapping on the TouchStick while typing. (this option is visible to the user if you have a TouchStick)

I guess it is also obvious that this driver works equally well with TouchStick and non-TouchStick touchpads. I have not yet tested it with multitouch pads, so I don't know if it will work, although the "Gestures" tab is there.

Note that if you try installing more recent ALPS drivers intended for multitouch pads, you will likely get a BSoD (blue-screen) and be forced to boot with "last known good configuration" then uninstall the drivers, then install these.

Barrett

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick Golensky

Hi NighTalon,

you say that Dell's ALPS drivers for Windows 7 suck. How are things with Windows Vista? Is it possible to disable the ALPS touchpad while typing on this System?

Thank you in advance,

Nick

• 1 month later...

Kind of necroposting here, but anyway...

The acer ones, as is true for a lot of new, non-dell drivers give my mouse a really weird jitter when I drag my finger, even slowly, along the touchpad.

I currently have a set from *some* newer dell laptop, but it doesn't support the pointing stick, or the buttons. I use both, and it's really annoying to have them there and not be able to use them.

Anyone know a set that will work well?