LaptopVideo2Go Forums

1080p over VGA with an 8600m GT on Windows 7?

Michael Marley

I was wondering if it is possible to force the nvidia driver in Windows 7 to output 1920x1080 resolution even if that resolution is not in the TV's EDID. I have a new Sharp LC32LE700UN HDTV, and I am attempting to get it to native resolution with our (Windows 7) media center PC. The TV reports its maximum resolution as 1600x1200, but I know it supports 1920x1080 over VGA because I was able to put it into that mode with my Linux laptop (which has the same specs as the media center pc). I am currently using driver 195.81 with the modded INF. I have tried creating a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel, but attempting to apply it fails before it even attempts to switch modes, and the TV just stays in 1600x1200.

Yikes, this problem still exists.

You may need to mod the EDID table manually, Viewsonic has a little app that can do this.

Give this ago.

Bit busy at the mo with server HD issues,

Write this in the SU, Chris also knows about these issues, alhough it has been some years.

Wow, it's been a while. Did you check the NV_Modes in the inf?

You can always try to force one with NV_R&T. I can't recall if R&T restricts allowed usage or forces usage.

I'm not sure if the old overrides method is used on Win7. That was a XP phase.

I now have it partially working. What I ended up doing was attaching the TV with a VGA cable that supported EDID, and used a trial version of EnTech PowerStrip to create a custom Windoze driver for the monitor which set the max resolution at 1920x1080. I then attached the TV with a VGA cable that did not support EDID, and force-installed my custom graphics driver on the Generic Non-PNP Monitor device. That allowed me to use native resolution. However, I cannot close the laptop, because this changes the video mode to an unsupported mode of the TV, causing the TV to go out of sync and the laptop monitor to go off. This condition can be rectified only by doing a System Restore to the point when it still worked.

• 3 months later...
Guest Dimitris St.

Michael, i just stumbled upon this issue with a Viewsonic display (not recognized by go 7600 with the same driver that my 9600m gt recognizes it), and if you haven't yet made it fully working try creating the custom Driver using the non EDID cable. it worked for me because the driver , i suppose, doesn't have other resolutions and the system can't force resolutions to the screen. Hope it works for you too

I ended up replacing the media center PC with a slim desktop system that has a 9500gt that has an HDMI output on it.