LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 8930G GPU upgrade

Pistino01

hey all, long time no see ... :) too many RL issues. but lets get to the point, you can see my laptop specs in my description. my question can i upgrade my GPU to a GTX 260M, they are both MXM 3 so is it possible? i know there will be possible heat issues because my 9700m GT has 45W current consumption and the GTX 260M has 75W... but i would like to try it anyway, and see if the overheating is so fatal.

Thx, Pistino01

I don't believe that it is possible, since the GTX 260M uses a different MXM type

(MXM 3.0 Type -B ), and therefore a different connector than 9700M GT.

Edited by quipster

so which one of thease will my laptop accept ? NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285M, NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 160M, NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GT, NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTX. or suggest a nvidia card that will be better than my 9700m GT and usable in my laptop.

Thx, Pistino01

Your suggested list has a mix of MXM 2.x and probably MXM 3.x cards - your laptop is 2.x and doesn't accept the newest which do have a totally different connection. Have a look here:

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/

so what is my best option? the 9700m GTS? im open to suggestions...

Thx, Pistino01