LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Win 7 and large Hardware Reserved Memory

jimjam007

I desided to upgrade my Toshiba A100-906 , so I installed 4gb DDR2 667 (2x2gb) and Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. The problem is that Windows recognize 4gb of ram but say that only 3.00gb usable (System Information), and Resource Monitor shows 1026mb as Hardware reserved (I suspect Nvidia Turbocache ...)

PC specs

Toshiba A100-906

Intel C2D T5500 1,83 ghz

Intel 945PM chipset

nvidia go7600 256mb ram (approx total mem 1528 on DXdiag)

2x2gb Jetram 667 SoDimm

Bios Phoenix SecureCore v6 (2007) (no memory remapping option etc)

Bios shows 4096 mb ram, Memtest (at pre boot mode shows) 3070 at test and both Ram sticks work fully when used separately on either slot. When used alone they are fully recognized by Windows and there is no Hardware reserved memory. If either is used with an other 1gb stick (rams used before the upgrade) windows recognize 3gb ram and Harware reserved memory is 2mb

but when both 2gb sticks are used the Hardware Reserved Memory jumps to 1026 mb !!!

Some say that this is a limitation of the 945 chipset and others that it has to do with the shared memory between System and Gpu but i realy couldn't find something useful...

I found that this is a problem for many users so I thought that sharing some ideas would be useful, if not to solve this problem at least to find the cause....

PS: if by chance any one happens to know something about a newer or modded bios for this notebook I would be grateful !

Guest Zodrac

hey!

are you sure u have windows 7 x64? open dxdiag and look if u have a 64bit button or u can also read it from your systeminformation (systemtype). cant imagine that windows 7 x64 cant recognize it, because my notebook also have a intel 945 chipset and i installed 2x4gb ram in it. no problems at all

see ya

This is common it has nothing to do with x86 vs x64, I had it with a PC of mine BUT since I been using a bunch o the leaked zukona updates its gone...so wait for SP1 I think this will be fixed

This is common it has nothing to do with x86 vs x64, I had it with a PC of mine BUT since I been using a bunch o the leaked zukona updates its gone...so wait for SP1 I think this will be fixed

My thanks man ! I will try to find the update and post back with the results

The problem is the 945PM chipset. As you mention in your first post, other people say this as well. Any laptop on the 945PM chipset will only be able to utilise the ~3 gb of ram. It is actually a x86 chipset, which cannot address the total RAM correctly.

I have the same problem with the XPS M1710, also on a 945PM chipset, any 965 and up chipsets can utilise the RAM.