LaptopVideo2Go Forums

3DMark 2001 Error

OPaul

Whenever I run 3DMark 2001 I run into the following error;

3dmarkerror.png

How have people been able to run it to get a score?

I have a 420 Go.

I'm running the latest DirectX 9( :) and the latest 3dMark 2001 SE (330). It's done this with every Detonator and Forceware driver I've tried.

Opaul,

3DMark2k1 v330 is a seperate patch you download.

That error looks exactly like trying to run the original 3DMark with DX9.

Make sure the patch is installed properly.

If it is then I'm out of ideas.

Good luck,

Pieter.

• 1 year later...
Guest tomvanallen
Could it be because the 420 has only 16MB of onboard RAM?
No !!

Well, I came to the same conclusion as I can't run the latest build of 3DMark2001 either. Currently I'm using 3DMark2000 for benchmarking. :/

While I can't see the error, I do know that you need the absolute latest version of 3DMark2001SE for it to run with DX9.

When you go to this page:

http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark2001.shtml

You can download the latest version of it, if you can't get that to run, you are probably doing something wrong, or its your drivers, that picture you linked didn't show up, even when I copied it to my address bar, so I don't know what your problem is exactly.

Also, on that page on the top left hand side, it has links to the latest version of the other 3DMarks.

Edit: The link I posted is a full install download.

Guest tomvanallen

Yes, I was running the very latest version of 3DMark2001 Second Edition. The error I got was something about being out of video memory. Besides, the minimum system requirements on this page says you need the following:

A modern 3D accelerator with 32MB of memory

Guest tomvanallen

Since I didn't get any response on my last post, I ran 3DMark2001 SE again to provide the exact error message. Now, I ran the default benchmark which failed already during the first game test in high detail with the following error:

P_D3D::allocateMap - CreateTexture ( for a rendertarget) failed : D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY

If I changed the benchmark settings to reflect those in 3DMark2000, that is 16 bit color, textures and Z-buffer instead of the default 32 bit, the test completed. I got a score of 4375 3D marks with v45.91 (those available on Windows Update). This result is of course not comparable to a 3DMark score with the default settings, but they will do just fine for my own testing.

(By the way... I will be quite surprised if anyone has ran a complete default benchmark in 3DMark2001 SE with the 16 MB edition of the GF4 420 Go.)

I think you can run the card in PCI mode, run the OpenGL enable tweak, and set extra texture memory for you graphics card while it is running in PCI mode, (in the D3D settings page) then run the default benchmark.

post-5-11117053120_thumb.jpg

No problem, check out the attached image.

If that page is not there, (should be with Pieter's mod INF) then run this tweak.

enable_pages.reg

You should only run that for testing purposes, turn it off when you run your games! :)

post-5-11117858440_thumb.jpg

Guest tomvanallen

Ahh! Now I'm a bit closer! You see, that AGP page wasn't there. Anyways, now there's a new problem. When I move the slider to disable AGP and activate the change, the slider automatically moves to AGP 4X again. :\

Interesting, I just tried it myself, and both the AGP setting and the fastwrite setting turn themselves back on automatically when I hit ok or apply. :)

Anybody know what is going on here?

Right now I am on the 71.84 driver with modded Dell INF, never tried turning AGP off before with any other driver.

RIght now I am also running on battery, but that should not have anything to do with it.

We probably need another setting in the INF, try Pieter's mod INF with that same driver.

It probably has something to do with our BIOSes as well.

That behaviour (resetting back to defaukt values for AGP and FW) i noticed on Desktop cards and also my laptop. The explanation would be that it only reads out the values from the VBIOS and displays it.

So if we get a hacked BIOS it will work?

I am on Pieter's INF right now for the same driver (71.84) and it still does it.

Anyway, I like my 4X AGP and FW much better than PCI mode......

Now if only I could select the PCI Express mode........ :)

Guest tomvanallen

Hehe.. I would like to select that mode too! :) Anyways, PCI mode is supposedly slower, but for me with only 16 MB video RAM, but 512 MB system RAM, it sure would be nice to try out...

What would be the reason to force PCI mode when your card supports AGP :) ? Accelerated Graphics Port :)

We were saying that if he runs his card in PCI mode, he might be able to set more graphics RAM, and in turn complete a standard 3Dmark2001SE benchmark.

Also, his card is so old it might not make much of a difference, although there is only one way to find out.

Also, while I have not seen or heard of this problem much over hear with laptops, a lot of desktop users with certain card and motherboard combinations have to force a lower AGP rate for the card to work correctly, even though they have a 8X AGP card and mobo. They would still be running it in AGP though.....