LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 6920g in-place upgrade to Win 7= laggy/unplayable games

sondredh

All my games worked perfectly on vista32, but when i did an in-place upgrade to windows 7(32bit)they lagged so much they are unplayable. Reinstalling the games did not help at all. At first i had my 9500m GS overclocked(flashed) a little too high clock speeds(worked well on vista), so i lowered them but not helping(when i had 700mhz,460mhz,1350, the games lagged and after a few minutes of gaming, the screen got black and the driver crashed, now when i've lowered to 630,430,1250, this does not happen, but it still lags). My GPU does get about 10c degrees hotter on W7, though but i lowered the speeds significantly, so that shouldnt be the problem now(or is it still because it's overheating?). I'm running RMclock to undervolt & fix the CPU speed to always run at 2100mhz. I tried turning that off but no difference. I've tried a lot of nvidia drivers (dox too) but it's all the same:S. The weird thing is fraps show's the framerate is about 30-40 fps, but the game still lags(Can it have something to do with the HDD? i've noticed slower load times too)??

What can i do to fix it? Is it because of outdated drivers for all the other stuff??

Edited by sondredh

That's odd, generally Win7 is regarded as lighter. Check the running processes in the task manager - I had also lags but got mostly rid of them by closing unnecessary processes. In this respect I miss my XP laptop - it ran about 40 processes and my recent does nearly 100 before moderating.

killing processes doesn't help. Is there anything else i can do/ is there a way i can find out exactly what is causing it?

Guest guest_999

i guess it's because of the 'in-place' upgrade. you're supposed to select 'custom' when upgrading to windows 7 and choose clean install instead. i have some driver problems with 2 vaio laptops (7600 & 8400M) with windows 7 upgrade. when choosing clean install it's much better. except you gonna have to reinstall tons of programs back.