LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is it possible to limit max resolution?

Guest dskchoi

Guest dskchoi

Hi,

I have a Toshiba notebook running Win7, with a damaged GeForce FX GO5700 gpu. Starting from the bios, my screen shows vertical streaks of lines varying in thickness. It used to be that the monitor shut off or I got the blue screen soon after the Windows boot animation was over, but I found out that the computer is still runnable in safe mode and also VGA mode. The streaks disappear once I get logged into either safe mode or vga; I haven't been able to successfully enter normal mode yet. Seeing this, I don't think my gpu is totally ruined, but it's just not able to handle it's max resolution of 1440x900 anymore.

So here's my question- is there some code I can modify in my graphics driver that will limit the max resolution displayable on screen (so my computer switches down to the next highest resolution)? I don't expect a miracle to happen and my notebook to suddenly work at full res again, but I would still like to salvage as much as I can from the 17" (vga resolution is abysmal...). I would appreciate any answer as to whether such a thing is possible to do. Thanks.

You could remove the resolution(s) from the INF file near the bottom (before the GPU name lists), or you could just, you know, turn the resolution down.

You could try baking the GPU, that has worked for Pieter about 5 times now.

Guest dskchoi

You could remove the resolution(s) from the INF file near the bottom (before the GPU name lists), or you could just, you know, turn the resolution down.

You could try baking the GPU, that has worked for Pieter about 5 times now.

Thanks for your possible solutions. I tried deleting the resolutions from the INF, but it didn't help. Yes, I could just go and turn the resolution down, but I can't start the notebook in normal mode in order to be able to go and change the res. Like I said, I can only successfully enter Windows via safe mode or vga, but it'd be pointless to change the res there considering it doesn't stay that way when I try the normal mode again.

My gpu is integrated directly onto the motherboard. Is it safe to bake the whole board?

If you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears :)

If you uninstall the driver from safe mode, then reboot and then re-install it, it should default to a low resolution.

There is an INF option that can control any automatic display switching, but it usually asks first when you install a new driver from scratch.

You should be able to install a new driver and have it boot into normal mode in 800x600 or something.