LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware + nvidia 8600m gt

Guest Chris F

Guest Chris F

Laptop Make/Model - Alienware Area 51

Graphics Card -- Nvidia 8600M GT

Current working Driver Version - Defaulted "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)"

Last Useable Driver Version - Not sure I'm sorry. It was the one that came with the laptop a year or two back. I have the disc.

Operating System - Vista 32 bit

An accurate description of the issue at hand - Seeking a working driver for my video card, this laptop is mainly used as a mobile gaming rig and runs a few low-end apps just to dink around with in airports or while 'working'. But recently it started having problems where in fullscreen applications it would go completely black screen, sit that way for about 20 seconds then restore itself but look like crap on 3/4 of the screen. The visual effect is hard to describe, something like it was just 'jilted'. I can still read text and see, but it's like a lightly shaken etch a sketch... I know my technical terms are great, I honestly don't know how to describe the effect. Anyways, I sought a video driver upgrade in hopes to fix the issue instead of having to reboot every 20-30 minutes. First thing I did was visited the nvidia website and of course I didnt know they dont have any working mobile drivers so I buggered with that a bit until I had tried all of their 8600 drivers to no avail, then went to google and found this website. I tried 3 drivers from here too. 197.44, 297.16 and 257.15 and got the same error with each one using the setup exe it reaches the end and says:

"The system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time run the installation again."

Manually:

The system cannot find the file specified.

I also tried with the disc provided to me by Alienware and got the same two messages. I tried uninstalling my video card, rebooting and trying a "fresh" install with each of the drivers from the nvidia site, from the cd and from here. At this point I'm afraid of causing more damage than good on my own, although I've prolly buggered it up plenty already.

attached NERD log

Cant attach log, using vista and i edited the script as I was told by the post and it continued to give me errors.

ver|find "6.0.6001">NUL

if "%errorlevel%"=="0" set V_OS=vista&goto :OSDETAILS

added this into it, if I did that wrong I'll be happy to retrieve that information.

I'm sorry if anything else is missing by way of info I have spent the better part of 2 hours on this already, and thats just today. I'm just stepping away so I don't hurt my baby laptop anymore than I did already... Thank you in advance.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Have you guys tried using your hardware id's to filter out the drivers on the front page?

http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

You could also try this site

http://www.downloadwindowsdrivers.info/