LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Want to Increase Stability of 9800M GTS on P-7801u

valzi

I have the common P7801-u video card crashing (to BSOD) problem. The cause of the crash, according the BSOD, is nvlddmkm.s When playing a game or video for any length of time, the video card crashes. I am trying to increase my video card's stability so I can get in a couple of hours of gaming before it crashes.

So far, I've underclocked it by 20% (now at a clock of 480 instead of 600 for the GPU core), undervolted it to .97V (using the bios described here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gateway-emachines/464520-definite-solution-nvlddmkm-video-crash-p-7805u.html) and turned off PowerMizer. I keep the laptop on top of a fan. It idles at 45-50 C and never reaches temps above 80 C.

I'm using the driver supplied by the laptop manufacturer, which is 186.32. Perhaps there is a driver that might be more stable I could try?

I'm running Windows 7 x64. I haven't altered the hardware this model comes with.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz. 4 GB RAM.

Please supply whatever possibly useful ideas you can come up with! I've been working on this off and on by myself for about a year and am quite frustrated. Thanks in advance!

Have you tryed this driver. it is part of the new 256 drivers nvidia made. They may just work for you.

Yep, no luck.

Weird thing is, it works fine in Ubuntu, but not in Win 7, XP, or Vista, with any of several drivers I've tried (about 8.)

Also, it works in windows after a fresh OS install for a little while, but then stops working.