LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT starting to fail?

Guest Luke

Hi

Recently I have been experiencing a constant stuttering. This is more noticable in some games than others. In anno 1404 for example, I could play it fine on medium settings 2 months ago, but now it is unplayable, even at the lowest resolution and settings.

Whats more, the GPU is idling around 70C! I have checked the heatsink and cleaned out all of the dust, but then I saw the state the thermal compound was in.

The stock thermal paste is now no longer covering the GPU or CPU but sat around the sides. I have done further research, and I believe the stuttering may be caused by overheating, which then results in both chips underclocking.

My aim is to replace the thermal paste with Arctic MX-2. I will report back if the stuttering resolves, but I am still in some doubt over whether this is a temp issue or the starting signs of a failing card?

Does your games run slow even if your PC is just booted?

Yes, every game runs slow, even after booting and with all unnecessary services closed.

Upon further research, I have gathered that my laptop is Inherently defective, and I shall be contacting Dell to request a full refund or replacement laptop or I will pursue legal action against them.

Yes, every game runs slow, even after booting and with all unnecessary services closed.

Upon further research, I have gathered that my laptop is Inherently defective, and I shall be contacting Dell to request a full refund or replacement laptop or I will pursue legal action against them.

Before you do all of that, check the inside for dust, try different drivers...Also keep in mind to check the NV settlement for your model too, if your warranty is out, they may not offer a refund but only repairs/Refurb.

Thanks for the tips but already tried more than 20 driver releases, as well as cleaned out the whole laptop.

I found this forum: www.nvidiadefect.com, which details the steps required for a full refund or replacement. In the UK, the sale of goods act is in place, as well as section 75 which will allow me to get a full refund provided I show the credit card company an Engineers report to prove it's inherently defective.

I'm already making progress and I should get a full refund within the next few weeks.

Thanks again.