LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help in replacing Thermal Pad on Geforce Go 7900 GS

clkgtr

Hi,

I recently open up my good old Inspiron E1705 and cleaned it up thoroughly. I replaced the thermal pad on the CPU heat sink with Arctic silver 5 Thermal Paste. The temperature of CPU came down from 65-70C during normal operation to 35-40C. :)). I wanted to do the same with the Graphics card too, but I was unable to remove the heat sink :). I tried and gave up after a few tries as I didnt want to break anything. Can someone guide me how to remove the heat sink on the Geforce go 7900 GS?

Thank you

Best Regards,

clkgtr

I think you can't seperate the heatsink on Dell Notebook Graphics Modules. I saw that they were soldered together.

I think you can't seperate the heatsink on Dell Notebook Graphics Modules. I saw that they were soldered together.

I read somewhere that you could bake the card in an oven, and the solder comes off..and then u can remove the heat sink. Is that the only way? I'm not too comfortable doing that :)

I read somewhere that you could bake the card in an oven, and the solder comes off..and then u can remove the heat sink. Is that the only way? I'm not too comfortable doing that :)

Yes but that's not the only way, you can do the same thing with a heatgun to.