LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I'm coming back from extended break

mobilenvidia

I've been very busy these last few weeks and not had much time for much of anything.

I hope to change this very shortly.

To help with modding and you guys with better support I've decided to build a desktop system.

I've picked items to try and get the best bang for buck but still have a sytem that performs.

It's going to take a few weeks for all the bits to arrive and build it.

Hope to have a progress report on how it's all coming together.

Here are the specs of the bits that are on their way:

Xeon x3470, 2.93Ghz Quad Core HT 1156 Lynnfield CPU, it's an engineering sample so unlocked and will the same as an i7-850k

x3470es.png

Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler, to keep the CPU cool, went for this as it's very quiet and fan points down to keep the RAM and Mobo cool.

noctua_nh-c12p.jpg

2x Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600), I'll grab another 2x4GB in the new year, best bang for buck.

kingston_4gb.jpg

ASRock P55 DELUXE3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, as it says USB3 and SATA3 come build in, this I choose over the newer Extreme4 due to the PLX PCIe bridge that comes with the Deluxe3, this should do much better than other Marvel 9128 based SATA3 and Nec USB3 controllers directly attached to the system and not getting enough bandwidth, I can't find a review of this Mobo, so will need to somehow test this.

p55_deluxe3.jpg

PNY XLR8 RVCGGTX465XXB GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, the reason for all this and will allow me to mod INFs and check on all features to see if they work.

Also a very good overclocker and a tiny chance of being flashable to a full GTX470

gtx465.jpg

I've not got a Power Supply or case yet, running a little low on funds.

I might have to buy a power supply and not have a case for a few weeks.

I'm tempted toward the Corsair HX850w supply, probably best bang for buck.

Not the flashiest rig ever build but I think this should see me right for a couple of years at least.

Pretty good for an intel machine how much that set you back dude?

My awesome machine only needs a few more gigs ram and i'm set for a few years too. i do 3d animtion so i need the specs ^_^.

This is a list of everything in my computer and it costs less than £920.

Black Mid Tower Gaming Case with Massive 14cm Front Fan

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 CPU Cooler

Hi-Power Black 800W Modular 13.5cm Fan PSU

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5

3x AKASA 120mm Amber series 3pin Ultra quiet case fan

Enermax Magma 80mm Fan with Batwing blades

Startech 12IN TX3 FAN POWER SPLITTER

LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive

Compucase 52-In-1 Internal 3.5" Bay Card Reader

Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 AMD 770 Socket AM3 Motherboard

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 Ram 1866MHz

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Silver Thermal Compound

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition AM3 3.2 GHz

Maxtor 250GB SATAII 7200rpm HDD

StarTech.com 8cm Cleanable Air Filter

Scythe Kama Bay 5.25" System Cooler - Case fan - 120 mm

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 (got for cheap via offer)

On a Plus note i have zero molex cables running in there ^_^ maximum air flow!

Edited by feigned-existence

So far US$802, not including a PSU and case, so will go over $1k easily

Looking like Corsair HX850 PSU and possibly an Antec Dark Fleet 30/35 or a Nine Hundred Case

The psu i have is a modular one so the cables i don't need i can easily remove improving air flow and thus keeping my pc cool.

With the 4 case fans 1 PSU fan and the 2 Gpu fans i have my pc's temps are as follows (using speedfan 4.41);

CPU:18-20 degrees celcius on idle maxing out at 35 degrees on gaming.

GPU: 25 idle and about 35-40 on games.

everything else pretty much stays at 29.

Go for the GTX 460! It has the same performance as the GTX 465, and has humongous Overclockinn Potential! :)

The GTX460 is a better low power option but the GTX465 was cheaper and XLR8 looks to easily reach 900+Mhz, and of course that tiny chance of unlocking the GTX470 within.

Hoping you do some healthy overclocking to your CPU (and/or undervolting) ((I'm managing to run my T9300 at 1.025V and 2.7GHz-Dual IDA & undervolting)), and hopefully to your GPU too. Would be interesting to hear how your build unfolds and if you can squeeze out a few or many more MHZ of performance out of what the bods gave you (they never banked on you being able to push your system to the limits!). That's the thing with all these companies (Intel/Nvidia/AMD), they have to push out products that are stable at a given MHZ, but you can extract $100 or £100's by undervolting or overclocking to find the true potential of your hardware, this is what I like about PC's! That's because there's so much variance between each processor that just can't be judged until you push it to the limits. It's an experiment, and it's scientific, and it's luck of the draw, hope you get some good parts that let you overclock!

The x3470 can do 4Ghz, I'd be very happy with that as long as it was stable.

With the Noctua Giant cooler on there, I've given it every chance to reach 4Ghz.

The GTX465 looks to have 10 Memory chips which means it's very likely to be a detuned GTX470.

The unlocked BIOS is already to go onto it.

The Mobo with the PEX8606 (PLX bridge) also looks to be a wise choice as the USB3 and SATA3 are both running of this bridge and not stealing lanes from the video card.

All the below gear is now in Wisconsin and should be on it's way early next week.

The CPU is in the country and should be with me early in the week.

Hit a snag over here with the Power Supply, as I discover it's out of stock, after being in stock when I ordered it.

Will need to get a credit on this one and reorder from someone with one in stock.

I'll do a blurb on how I get on with the build.

Will be an on going project as I also need to get some decent HDD's/SDD to run it all.

PSU arrived a couple of days ago, which was 'Out of stock'

Still awaiting the case which was in stock (go figure)

This morning a large parcel arrived with Mobo, CPU cooler, RAM and Video Card.

The CPU cooler is absolutely HUGE and so cool, the most impressive part of the build so far.

The P55 Deluxe3 is rather neat too with it's heatsinks.

The XLR8 GTX465 is just that a large black shiney box, which will transform into a GTX470 as soon I can.

There has been a small booboo with the CPU, I have the wrong one, honest mistake and I hope to very soon have the sum of all these parts working as one.

PSU arrived a couple of days ago, which was 'Out of stock'

Still awaiting the case which was in stock (go figure)

This morning a large parcel arrived with Mobo, CPU cooler, RAM and Video Card.

The CPU cooler is absolutely HUGE and so cool, the most impressive part of the build so far.

The P55 Deluxe3 is rather neat too with it's heatsinks.

The XLR8 GTX465 is just that a large black shiney box, which will transform into a GTX470 as soon I can.

There has been a small booboo with the CPU, I have the wrong one, honest mistake and I hope to very soon have the sum of all these parts working as one.

Turning your 465 into a 470 sounds exciting, can you be certain it will work when you flash it, couldn't it just brick and then you're stuck with an expensive & depressing gpu style paperweight? (I'm new to that so I could well be wrong!). What happened to the CPU, why was it the wrong one? When I upgraded my CPU in my laptop to a T9300, I had to make sure it was the right format, some had 'balls' and some had 'pins' - was that similar to what happened with you? I might consider a custom desktop build soon, there's a lot of scope for innovation & value adding, (as well as scope for choosing the wrong or incompatible components - onwards with the research for me anyway!).

If I ever buy a desktop I think it would have to be one I designed myself!

Couldn't wait to try stuff so I dismembered my 7yo sins computer:

GTX465 is now a GTX470, took but a few minutes to do.

Now have a fully working featured GTX470, all 448cores and 1280MB unleashed.

The Noctua CPU cooler works also as advertised, quiet as a mouse and blow a heap of air.

Now to put it on a CPU.

The Silverstone Strider Plus ST85F-P is also works a treat, nice and quiet.

I was sent a LGA771 XEON not the x3479 LGA1156 CPU I ordered.

Man was very apologetic and is sending the correct one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to have a working system at the end of next week.

The case a Cooler Master Storm Scout arrived yesterday, have put the Mobo in and wired up all I could.

Must say looking very nice.

Got a couple of Scythe slip stream 120mm 1900RPM case fans coming to put in the side window.

This I may possibly regret, as they are are 37db fans but blow 110CFM of air each.