LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Confuzled about HDMI vs HDMI

Guest Absolute noob

Guest Absolute noob

OK - i have a price of equipment that claims to take HDMI in and make it available via a USB 3.0 port.

This all sounds great on paper. I follow the manufacturers instructions from phone calls (more than the limited and incomplete "documentation"). I am attached to an "approved" PC motherboard for the USB 3.0 I/O. I get the output PC to be the resolution that is "supported" and it FAILS.

When i have a conversation with the manufacturer he tells me that the HDMI output from my computer (source computer) is not compatible with the HDMI input to his device.....

The manufacturer says that this device tested using Xbox systems HDMI output and not computers. IT'S HDMI!

Is HDMI a standard or is it not?

Is there variations on the standard (ala USB for HID or storage) or not?

Is there a "digital" and "Analog" HDMI or RGB and YUV HDMI?

Is there some way of ensuring the compliance prior to purchase (such as stating is one flavor or not another)?

Is there a way of getting the HDMI output of a standard computer graphics card to BE the magic flavor 'like' that from an Xbox?

Thanks,

/confuzzled