LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Heavy graphic issue after formating my laptop.

HNKNTa

Hi guyz,

first post & newest on this forum, but I really need your help, I encounter an issue with my GPU.

I bought a Dell XPS m1710 in 2007 with Vista 32bits basically installed. When Windows 7 was release I immediately update (not formated) Windows Vista to Seven, an never formated until Tuesday 15th February 2011. I found my laptop was laggy, tons of useless files, useless programs etc...so I decide to format it. And the problems begins...

On first try I decided to install Windows XP SP3 to gain some performance. I reinstall drivers etc... Everything was fine until I played a game, StarCraft 2. I notice that my laptop freeze, black screen, go back to desktop, go back to the game, un-freeze, and textures was flashy/strange. Have this trouble 3-4 times, impossible to play. With Aion I experiment same freeze/unfreeze loop, no flashy, but in-game textures were bugged and clip.

I thought Windows XP was too old, so i decided to re-formated (twice in a day now -_-) and make a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate. I update all my driver again, with original Dell 7950 GTX drivers and update to more recent via .inf Laptopvideo2go's modded files. re-install Aion and SC2. And again same problems :) Freeze/Un-freeze loop, flashy texture, in SC2, clipping texture in Aion, and finally crash by a beautiful nvldmmkm.sys BSoD several time. I googled some infos and find a possible solution. There is a know issue about old version of nvldmmkm.sys file not update. And old version of this file enter in conflict with new driver files. I find a tuto to fix it, but again same problems.

I finally thing it was maybe Windows again, do I decided to re-install windows Vista, install SP1&SP2 pack, and finally update to Seven. (like precedent working configuration). Re-install (AGAIN) all drivers yhen Aion & SC2. Have the same freezing,un-freeze, black screen, "desktop come back" and clipping problems and finally BsoD... again.... God damned

I found a post about an other possible solution, underclocking GPU. I downloaded Julanu's video bios, and finally underclock my GPU with Riva. Seem to temporally fix the problem, but all game are un-playable due to lack of Clock.

So here my request:

If anybody know something about my problem, and have an idea to fix it, without underclock my GPU witch become useless for playing... I NEVER have this kind of problems on my first installation, (those ******* bugs appear sine I formated my PC)with all games and all programs installed on it.

I took some picture from SC2 main menu where you can see the flashy texture. I also uploaded a DxDiag files, and files from the latest nvldmmkm.sys crash (see attachments files below). Hope you'll be able to help me =)

p2190194.th.jpg

p2190196.th.jpg

p2190197.th.jpg

p2190198.th.jpg

p2190199.th.jpg

Cheers! Sorry for my crappy english

WER-61916-0.sysdata.xml

DxDiag.txt

post-45526-0-21066800-1298097770_thumb.g

Edited by HNKNTa

from the pictures, it does look like artifacting which is a result of overheating. i would first download hwmonitor or gpu-z to monitor your temperatures. and im not 100% if this is true, but artifacting is usually a result from your video ram being too hot, and i noticed that your graphics card is GDDR3 and 256bit which is pretty impressive and fast for a old laptop card. though it is strange that you formatting windows seemed to cause this problem.

anyways, i would make sure u installed all the drivers properly. the drivers on the dell site are probably all outdated, so you should hunt around for newer versions. like make sure ur chipset drivers are new (latest ones are from like january). make sure u hve the latest bios (which if u already installed it once a while ago, u dont need to install it again). run windows update and that will also give u some drivers to install.

u could also try opening up the laptop and cleaning out some dust.

and finally u can try baking the graphics card. -> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19257707/19428203.aspx and the guy that runs this website has done it a few times to his 7900. it supposedly fixes problems with bootup, but judging from what he said, it could also fix your problem.

good luck

from the pictures, it does look like artifacting which is a result of overheating. i would first download hwmonitor or gpu-z to monitor your temperatures. and im not 100% if this is true, but artifacting is usually a result from your video ram being too hot, and i noticed that your graphics card is GDDR3 and 256bit which is pretty impressive and fast for a old laptop card. though it is strange that you formatting windows seemed to cause this problem.

anyways, i would make sure u installed all the drivers properly. the drivers on the dell site are probably all outdated, so you should hunt around for newer versions. like make sure ur chipset drivers are new (latest ones are from like january). make sure u hve the latest bios (which if u already installed it once a while ago, u dont need to install it again). run windows update and that will also give u some drivers to install.

u could also try opening up the laptop and cleaning out some dust.

and finally u can try baking the graphics card. -> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19257707/19428203.aspx and the guy that runs this website has done it a few times to his 7900. it supposedly fixes problems with bootup, but judging from what he said, it could also fix your problem.

good luck

Thanks for your help =).

In fact before I format my laptop I've ever upgrade to 7 without any problems. GPU correctly detected with custom driver from laptopvideo2go.

Problem appear when I formated and attempt to reinstall.

I think I finally find the problem. It's about the frequency of my GPU. It appear that since I have formated, GPU doesn't switch frequency mod. (2D, lower 3D, performance 3D) and then games are launch with low GPU frequency (100MHz/100MHz). When I use ATItools to load a custom frequency profile, and after launch the game, it works like charme =).