LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Trying to run game...

domp1201

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6520 with 4 GB RAM, I have a 64 bit Windows 7 OS, and an NVIDIA 4200 card. I've been told to come here because the game isn't running off of my NVIDIA card, instead it's running off some s***ty intel video card. My DxDiag and a bunch of other comments by other posters in a different forum are here, because as you can probably tell I know 0 about computers. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you.

You should mention that that is a Quadro card. Most of us here will assume it's the 2002 Geforce card if you don't.

Since you have Sandy Bridge, you need to install the latest intel graphics drivers, then go into the BIOS and make sure the nvidia card is enabled. You maybe need to look for an option called "IGP multi-monitor" or something like that. You then need to boot up with the nvidia GPU enabled, install the latest stable nvidia drivers (from here with mod inf if necessary) then you can install the optimus/virtu drivers and you should be good to go.

You will need to reboot between each driver install. You might even have to plug a monitor into the GPU to turn it on at first on bootup.

I know on the Sandy Bridge desktops you have to manually enable everything to make Virtu run.

Also after you install Optimus/Virtu you might have to configure it for your specific games.

Also it might not work with OpenGL games.

Finally you shouldn't by Dell crap. Get a Clevo machine next time. That Dell graphics card will probably melt and overheat within the next year, given their track record.

You should mention that that is a Quadro card. Most of us here will assume it's the 2002 Geforce card if you don't.

Since you have Sandy Bridge, you need to install the latest intel graphics drivers, then go into the BIOS and make sure the nvidia card is enabled. You maybe need to look for an option called "IGP multi-monitor" or something like that. You then need to boot up with the nvidia GPU enabled, install the latest stable nvidia drivers (from here with mod inf if necessary) then you can install the optimus/virtu drivers and you should be good to go.

You will need to reboot between each driver install. You might even have to plug a monitor into the GPU to turn it on at first on bootup.

I know on the Sandy Bridge desktops you have to manually enable everything to make Virtu run.

Also after you install Optimus/Virtu you might have to configure it for your specific games.

Also it might not work with OpenGL games.

Finally you shouldn't by Dell crap. Get a Clevo machine next time. That Dell graphics card will probably melt and overheat within the next year, given their track record.

Thank you soooooo much for that response. But I'm gonna feel dumb for saying this, but how do I even get to BIOS in the first place? I don't know anything about this sort of stuff as you can see. Sorry haha.

Hit F2 or delete when you first turn the machine on.

You should read the manual and help display for any setting before you change it.

Dell probably made the BIOS idiot proof enough that you can't break anything though.

I have no experience with graphics switching on a laptop though, so I can't help you anymore.

All I know is I got Virtu running on my Sandy Bridge desktop but the process for a laptop is a little different.

Optimus is supposed to work similarly to Virtu so it should have a similar setup procedure and similar issues and things.

Nvidia has been talking about porting Optimus to Z68 desktop machines since their implementation probably runs better. (it should since they designed the cards)

Hit F2 or delete when you first turn the machine on.

You should read the manual and help display for any setting before you change it.

Dell probably made the BIOS idiot proof enough that you can't break anything though.

I have no experience with graphics switching on a laptop though, so I can't help you anymore.

All I know is I got Virtu running on my Sandy Bridge desktop but the process for a laptop is a little different.

Optimus is supposed to work similarly to Virtu so it should have a similar setup procedure and similar issues and things.

Nvidia has been talking about porting Optimus to Z68 desktop machines since their implementation probably runs better. (it should since they designed the cards)

Thank you very much for all your help I'll try this out soon.