LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Am I out of luck with this one? (GTX570M)

jimdigriz

Hello everybody! (/Dr. Nick)

I placed an order for a low-cost laptop a few days ago, one equipped with a GTX 570M. I should have bought a laptop with a Quadro GPU but couldn't afford one. My main use for the laptop involves applications that run a heck of a lot faster on Quadros than they do on GeForces.

(Please note that I don't have the laptop yet; it will arrive in January.)

Is there any chance I could install Quadro drivers on the laptop and get some improved performance out of the apps that way?

The biggest problem, I believe, is that the GTX570M is based on a GF114 core. There are no Quadros, mobile or desktop, based on the GF114. The Quadro 4000M is based on the GF104 which is almost the same as GF114, says the internet. Might 4000M drivers work on the GTX570M?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. I'll be more than happy to make a donation to the forum if this gets solved.

cheers,

-jim-

With our modified inf there's no problem to install Quadro drivers. Performance is a different thing, can't say anything about it as I didn't use my Quadro for any demanding apps.

With our modified inf there's no problem to install Quadro drivers. Performance is a different thing, can't say anything about it as I didn't use my Quadro for any demanding apps.

That's great news about installing Quadro drivers. Once I get the laptop, I will do some benchmarking to find out if running Quadro drivers really affects apps' performance or not, and will post the results here. I can't be the only one interested in that :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I could do with some help here. Apparently I don't understand how this whole thing works.

I got the laptop and downloaded v285.62 drivers along with the modded .INF, used it to overwrite the original .INF, then tried to install drivers using the "have disk" method.

Followed the instructions all the way to the driver installation screen which shows the current GPU, a GTX 570M in this case. I wanted to install Quadro 4000M or 5010M drivers instead, so I unticked the "Show compatible hardware" box and selected unsigned driver for Quadro 4000M from the (long) list.

Windows 7 (64-bit Ultimate) groaned for a moment, and then stopped the process with this:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

NVIDIA Quadro 4000M

The driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows.

Same thing happened with Quadro 5010M drivers.

I also tried installing the drivers by leaving the "Show compatible hardware" box ticked. Installation worked but I ended up with GTX 570M drivers which is not what I wanted.

So what's the trick I'm missing here?

edit: v285.62 drivers were listed as "NVIDIA OEM". Slightly lower on the list I found Windows 7 64-bit drivers for Quadro/Tesla, version 285.58. Its .INF does not list Quadro 4000M at all but I'll give it a shot regardless.

Edited by jimdigriz

No Quadros are using GF114 core like 570M afaik - it might have an effect to the problems. I did it sometimes visa versa by forcing 8700M drivers into my FX1600M - but the final result was about the same.