LaptopVideo2Go Forums

R300+ killing DWM.exe after update-reboot

JL86

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here, though I have enjoyed this forum as a source of information and drivers for several years now.

I've been playing Diablo 3 since release with very erratic performance ranging from completely smooth in-combat to sudden out-of-nowhere unplayable FPS. There were no indications of any kind of interference causing the marseive FPS drops and I have been running the game from a SSD to eliminate the known hard-disk reading issues.

So, with no valuable response from Blizzard whatsoever, I decided to try some of the new Nvidia drivers to see if that might help.

I had been running on 296.10, sort of stable but still underperforming due to the inherent graphical mess that is called the Diablo 3 engine, untill the latest patch of the game.

Reading up about R300+ it seemed this might give the solution I was looking for, but it seems for my particular system they cause a lot more issues than they solve.

So far I have tried 310.42, 310.24 and 304.48. Both cause DWM.exe to crash instantly after rebooting and complete graphical freezes of around 5 seconds every minute orso. Very odd..

I am continueing attempts at drivers, but was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue and/or tell us about a similar experience.

Cheers,

Edit: it seems a clean-install of 304.48 beta has come through. The performance of Diablo 3 seems to have improved as well. So far so good.

I guess the DWM.exe crashing was being caused by updating drivers without a clean-install.

Edited by JL86