LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Are all Windows XP Modified INF-s missing?

Zanec

Because i cant find any...

NOTHING! Literally, i cant find any Windows XP Modified INF-s 64 and 32 bit ones. Its makeing me mad, because i well aint actually having huge problems with running games, but there is a military/futuristic FPS MMO that i would like to play with SMOOTH fps, but im having fluctuations, its actually running pretty good 60fps at average, everywhere, but(sometimes) when i zoom in or out or move my mouse over texture heavy places it generates a massive lagspike(usually 6-12fps)and that is when im normally in between a firefight -.- (I have done everything that people have suggested to run this game more... smoothly)

I thought that some modified drivers mabye would fix this problem, i can find the drivers, but no INF-s, WHY? WHY ARE THEY MISSING???

No files are missing... Far from it ;)

Thats what they/he said, but there are some missing...

System Specs:

• Laptop Make/Model : Lenovo ThinkPad T61p
  • Graphics Card -- Device ID (DEV_ID) if known : Nvidia Quadro FX 570M -- not known
  • Current working Driver Version : 296.88
  • Last Useable Driver Version : 296.88
  • Operating System : Windows XP(32 bit, OEM)
  • An accurate description of the issue at hand : Up there /\
  • attached NERD log : By some mysterious reasons I cant upload the logfile +it crashes when i ran EDID...

Game:

Blacklight Retribution(running on 1280x728, every other imaginable setting turned down)

Sorry XP modified inf support ended long ago so you will have to use INF Enhancer which doesn't seem to be working (at least for me) or make your own modded inf.

• 5 weeks later...

I know this might seem redundant, but since there is no modded driver inf support, and no inf enancer that works (tried that on several drivers), how exactly could we make our own modded inf?

Wouldn't it be easier to use an older, supported modded inf as a template or replacer? I've tried that, but the installer says 'required files are missing' if I attempt to interchange the nv4_dispi.inf file on 3XX drivers and more..

Could anyone provide a viable solution to this?

Just add lines for your card into the inf - or modify lines for some other card by replacing it with your card information.

These are my lines to add my GTX 260M ( Dev ID 0618) into the inf - I have stripped the subsys part away as it is not needed.

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0618.01% = Section005, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0618

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0618.01% = Section004, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0618

NVIDIA_DEV.0618.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M"

I've added

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0617.01% = Section005, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0617

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0617.01% = Section004, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0617

NVIDIA_DEV.0617.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 9800M GTX"

Since I have the 9800M GTX... but the setup still says that it cannot find the proper hardware. Either I've written the wrong code, or simply adding these lines is not enough. I'm struggling with the 305.43 driver at the moment, XP 32 bit...

Edited by eleron911

My lines are for Win 7/64 so straight copy even with those changed IDs doesn't work. XP32 needs something else - must have a look.

OK, I replaced the lines for 9800 GT with your card (0614 > 0617) - have a try (305.53).

nv4_disp.inf

Now it says that 'required files are missing'.

As far as I know, the GTX 260M is on the same generatation chip as the 9800M GTX, only differently clocked or something like that.

I'll look into the inf further... anyway the Hardware ID is definitely with 0617.

Edited by eleron911

The inf seems ok, but replacing the 9800 GT with the 9800M GTX may have added the 'missing hardware' issue. I'll look into adding my card as a 0617.1 line.

EDIT: Nope, that didn't do it either. Either the inf doesn't support the card, or I am not adding the proper lines...

Edited by eleron911

The inf seems ok, but replacing the 9800 GT with the 9800M GTX may have added the 'missing hardware' issue. I'll look into adding my card as a 0617.1 line.

EDIT: Nope, that didn't do it either. Either the inf doesn't support the card, or I am not adding the proper lines...

I am having the exact issues. After modding the inf file i get, missing files error. If you edit setup.cfg with notepad++ and remove the following line (line #104 for me)

<reject tests="FILES" level="error" text="${{ErrorMissingPackageFiles}}"/>

you can bypass the missing files error. However, installation still fails for some reason. I tried this on WinXP with 304.79 drivers.

So then what could we do?

I'm not willing to switch to another OS just for a small issue like this. If the driver is available for XP, there should be a way to force install it...

When it says files are missing is probably because you are trying to use a modified inf for international nvidia driver in a USA nvidia driver. Just download the international version.

When it says files are missing is probably because you are trying to use a modified inf for international nvidia driver in a USA nvidia driver. Just download the international version.

I believe that was the cause. I managed to get it working by merging Display.Driver folders downloaded from here and official nVidia website. This is how it works;

1-Download the latest driver from laptopvideo2go.com

2-Modify the .inf file

3-When you launch the setup, you will get "Missing required files" error.

4-Go to nvidia.com/drivers and download the latest driver for Windows 7, extract it. (it was international)

5-Copy Display.Driver folder from the official Windows 7 driver into the folder you download from here.

6-When it asks you to replace files, say "NO". Do not replace files !

7- You are good to go.

Everything is working fine =)

30479onxp.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The people that provide you an inf will probably provide you international version, so:

- if you have international driver you don't need to replace anything but the inf

- if you have USA version you just need a modified inf from USA version (or forget that driver and download international)

That said, even if you didn't merge anything and just use the international driver it will work.

Usually drivers hosted here are international version but the windows xp ones I believe they are broken in this site that's why you get the files missing. I know it's annoying to have something here that is not working. In few days when I can get a hold of Pieter I'll try to discuss this with him because in my opinion if the driver cruncher is really not working with the xp drivers (need to make sure first) it should either be fixed if it's worth the trouble or just stop uploading xp drivers to LV2G server.

Now it says that 'required files are missing'.

As far as I know, the GTX 260M is on the same generatation chip as the 9800M GTX, only differently clocked or something like that.

I'll look into the inf further... anyway the Hardware ID is definitely with 0617.

Just one question - from where did you download the 305.53 XP 32 driver?

@ Beyond

Please do not stop uploading the XP drivers :(

Edited by Selocan

I'm not saying that the xp drivers are not going to be uploaded to server anymore. Just thinking out loud. The good thing is to fix it and if that can't be done it's useless to upload them, just saying...

Just one question - from where did you download the 305.53 XP 32 driver?

Sorry for the late reply.

I've gotten the driver from this site, as I always do.

I'll give the other suggestions a try and post back my findings. Hope that works.

Uhm, I just figured out an issue, for the Geforce 9XXXM cards, the latest driver is waaaaaay behind, not the 305.43 that I want.

When you meant the international driver... did you mean the latest mobile one or desktop?

Edited by eleron911

I believe that was the cause. I managed to get it working by merging Display.Driver folders downloaded from here and official nVidia website. This is how it works;

I don't get it, you have Xp and you've downloaded the Win7 driver and replaced the Display.Driver folder, but didn't overwrite? :boxed:

I may have messed with the inf attaching the wrong one - now the id should be the right one.

OK, I'll give it another go and post the results.

Yea, that didn't solve anything, same old message 'required files are missing' :(

This is getting on my nerves, I've read that newer drivers allow you to update and download SLI profiles for various games, it's the main reason I wanted to change it.

Well, that and because I'm still running the 197.x drivers...

Edited by eleron911

Ok, next try: Download 304.79-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-beta from NVidia, extract it onto the desktop with Winrar or like, replace the nv4_disp.inf in the Display.Driver folder with this

nv4_disp.inf and let's see if the result is any better.

Well, as I'm not familiar with XP, there seems to be differences to Vista/Win7 driver structure where at least some drivers don't have ListDevices.txt in Display.Driver folder. If it exists, you may have to do the name altering fix into ListDevices.txt, too. And nv4_disp.cat - somebody with more knowledge seems to be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on vacation.

After some fiddling, it worked. All seems to be OK, thanks. :)

----------------------------------------

I fail to see the point of keeping XP drivers if there are no inf's for it. It makes no sense, it just irritates users that cannot install them.

Edited by eleron911