LaptopVideo2Go Forums

All new NVidia Drivers crash my notebook...

SebastianJu

Hello,

i used version 185.81 for vista till now without problems. But it seems that it doesnt include OpenCL so i tried to install a newer version. For that i tried the versions: 302.59, 301.42, 301.40, 301.34, 301.33, 301.32 and 301.27 from this website with the modded inf.

The first 6 driver could be installed (only one didnt work because the inf has a 404) but there is a problem in 90% of cases. When i start vista home premium 32bit then it shows the loginpage, where you have to click the icon as what user you want to login. When i dont click it and wait after 20 seconds or so the screen turns black and it seems nothing happens anymore. Clicking the powerbutton short doesnt close windows too so i think it stucks.

In rare cases this doesnt happen and i can login. And then OpenCL seems available too.

301.27 didnt install because of some errors while installing.

Then i went to nvidia homepage and the driver matching my gpu is: 301.42-notebook-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql

But after installing it has the same problem.

Now i only could install again the old driver 185.81 to use my notebook again but i would like to use opencl too.

Can someone tell me whats the problem here and how to solve it? Testing out every version down to 185.85 would be time-consuming i think...

Thanks!

Sebastian

Once happened something like that to me and I needed to reinstall the OS. If that doesn't work it means your card is broken.

I dont think my card is broken because i can reinstall the driver 185.85 and it runs normal again. With that driver i only cant use OpenCL.

Ill try to deinstall all NVIDIA-Software and drivers. Maybe then the driver will work.

Use some driver cleaner - that old drivers can leave some leftovers that mess the new install. For example Driver Fusion, it's new and free for basic operations.

Now i only could install again the old driver 185.81 to use my notebook again but i would like to use opencl too.

Can someone tell me whats the problem here and how to solve it? Testing out every version down to 185.85 would be time-consuming i think...

OpenCL is dependent on CUDA, therefore you need at least an R197 driver.

Start with old drivers and then one of each newer branch: R197, R250, R260, R270 etc.

That clean driver stuffs never solved anything for me... sigh... that's why I never even bother advising :P

And yes it's possible that a card has a part with some functionality not working, cuda in this case and the rest all works. My cousin has a card in windows xp and somewhat reduced features of hw acceleration in OS options in order to have the card working.

I now tried a good chunk of different drivers again and found that 263.14 is the newest one working. 265.90 is the first that doesnt work. There were some versions in between but the inf was missing so i couldnt test them.

Till now no error occured, only the 2 softwares, that use CUDA now has other problems. With 185.85 they told me that they couldnt connect to OpenCL, probably cuda missing, and when i was able to boot successfully into windows with one of the newest, actual driver the cuda worked. But now, with the running version there are again some other problems. Maybe the software is written for newest cuda-drivers only and it cant compile successfully now. It looks this way.

Strange that i sometimes could boot into windows with the newest drivers. But this happened very rarely. Maybe 1 in 10 or 20 tries. Normally it always turned the screen to black when i was at the loginscreen where i have to click a userbutton to login into windows. After 20 seconds there it turned black and nothing happened anymore. Clicking the powerbutton didnt shutdown vista too.

@Enthusiast

I had an 8600M GT in my Acer and replaced it with an 9600M GT with 512MB RAM. Then i downvolted (for better lifetime and less heat) and overclocked it by firmware. It runs stable (without artifacts in ati-tool) now at:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3

Core: 500 -> OC: 607

Memory: 800 -> OC: 979

Shader: 1250 -> OC: 1424

What did you do to your cards to run stable at such an OC-Level? Youre using still a notebook dont you?

Argh... after days of searching and testing 30 or so drivers, trying to edit registry, disable powermizer, using "nasty file remover" to delete all remaining driverfiles, deinstalling fully and install again, rebooting many times and checking the bios i finally found the problem... I only had to check the option "New Installation" to delete all old settings while installing the driver... Man... this sucks... I thought this would automatically happen when deinstalling completely but it seems not.

Now it seems its working finally. I hope its stable too. But till now im in vista for some hours and no problem.

Edited by SebastianJu

@Enthusiast

I had an 8600M GT in my Acer and replaced it with an 9600M GT with 512MB RAM. Then i downvolted (for better lifetime and less heat) and overclocked it by firmware. It runs stable (without artifacts in ati-tool) now at:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3

Core: 500 -> OC: 607

Memory: 800 -> OC: 979

Shader: 1250 -> OC: 1424

What did you do to your cards to run stable at such an OC-Level? Youre using still a notebook dont you?

I didn't do anything else but using nTune or NvidiaInspector to OC. The card just runs fine with the OC. Lucky I guess.