LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 4710G(raphics)

Bill-Schw

As had been posted in the past, a few years ago now, Acer's retired 4710 series covers generally three model variations, like some other Aspire and Acer lines, in this case; 4710, 4710Z and 4710G. I know the differentiation between 4710G and the others is that the Intel chipset changes from GM to PM, meaning no onboard 'Centrino' video that I get normally with the i945 Intel chipset, which is GMA950. Upto 256MB video RAM IIRC.

I finally got a full replacement 4710 instead of buying up specific parts, but it did have a faulty card, as far as is determined at present. I referenced an old article on this site in gathering information about the 4710 specifics and MXM cards in general.

It's believed one can swap rather easily from ATI to nVidia, but all evidence suggests a video BIOS compatible with Acer is needed to do so. I tested with a previous HP Compaq 8510P that I bought and uses an ATI Radeon HD2600 mobile MXM2, however, the Acer would not work with it, and there was a general fitting incompatibility between the two, HP's space is much less forgiving, so the card refuses to lie flat to the motherboard in testing the Acer within the HP hardware platform.

without an MXM card on the Acer motherboard, testing proved there was no video, only a white screen.

Further input about the issues of upgrade are welcome in this thread.