LaptopVideo2Go Forums

WINDOWS 10 INSIDER PREVIEW BUILD 17101 FOR FAST RING AND BUILD 17604 FOR SKIP AHEAD

Infinity7

Two new Win 10 Insider builds. The Microsoft blog gives details: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/02/14/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17101-fast-build-17604-skip-ahead/#B4TP2jmTrlHf4Jbk.97

Part of what is mentioned there is:

A new power scheme – Ultimate Performance: Demanding workloads on workstations always desire more performance. As part of our effort to provide the absolute maximum performance we’re introducing a new power policy called Ultimate Performance. Windows has developed key areas where performance and efficiency tradeoffs are made in the OS. Over time, we’ve amassed a collection of settings which allow the OS to quickly tune the behavior based on user preference, policy, underlying hardware or workload.

This new policy builds on the current High-Performance policy, and it goes a step further to eliminate micro-latencies associated with fine grained power management techniques. The Ultimate Performance Power plan is selectable either by an OEM on new systems or selectable by a user. To do so, you can go to Control Panel and navigate to Power Options under Hardware and Sound (you can also “run” Powercfg.cpl). Just like other power policies in Windows, the contents of the Ultimate Performance policy can be customized.

As the power scheme is geared towards reducing micro-latencies it may directly impact hardware; and consume more power than the default balanced plan. The Ultimate Performance power policy is currently not available on battery powered systems.

Fastest install to date for me. I think they're starting to get the hang of it!  :8_laughing:

After installing Steam and playing Call of Duty WWII, my PC can’t boot up anymore.

Reformatting again.

Good news. Fixed the issue.

I had a secondary hard drive that was setup with a MBR partition.
That was why I was no longer able to boot up to my primary hard drive which had a UEFI partition.
After reformatting my secondary hard drive to UEFI, I can now boot up to my primary hard drive and arrive at the build 17101 installation I already had set up.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Can't boot up to the hard drive with build 17101 again.

Most of the install seems to happen right after the download has finished
Takes about 45min of doing stuff in bacckground, i was happily playing away, with occasional stutter
Then wants to reboot, within seconds at 30% reboots again, then seems to sit in the 80's for a while, before final reboot
I much prefer this install

As for not booting up on your machine, you need to get your self a SSD, you won't know your self with boot time (or not in your case)
Never going back to HDD boot again
On my HP which had a really fast BIOS boot phase, I was up and running in <10secs from a shutdown, my Dell takes about 15secs as BIOS does a bit of mucking about.

I already have SSD hard drives only.

I have just found some helpful information about this on the web.

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-build-17101-17604-issues/

In part, it says:

"If you already installed build 17101 on your computer and experienced boot loop issues, you’re not the only one."
"Fortunately, we also have a piece of good news: you can quickly fix this problem by unchecking Fast Startup in Power Options."

I'm right now in the process of seeing if this solution works.

At this time I believe the issue is fixed.

I installed this build 17101 and done a cold bootup twice now, and it is fine.

2nd Edit: Confirmed. All is good now.

10 minutes ago, Infinity7 said:

At this time I believe the issue is fixed.

I installed this build 17101 and done a cold bootup twice now, and it is fine.

Glad you found a workaround. It's interesting that i have to disable Fast Startup for a completely different bug. With it enabled, I can't do a GUI shutdown (Start\Power\Shut down, or Sign Out\Power\Shut down). My screen blinks and then sends me right back to the desktop again. Disabling Fast Startup solves that one too.

18 hours ago, mobilenvidia said:

i have neither bug, weird

Well, we have different hardware.

That fix continues to work for me.

My HW won't be too different from Larry's XPS

9 hours ago, mobilenvidia said:

My HW won't be too different from Larry's XPS

...which, as of moments ago, has a shiny new BIOS.

3 hours ago, LSudlow said:

...which, as of moments ago, has a shiny new BIOS.

Thats no fair, what was update for ?

Am noticing this build when I shutdown, then turn back on thinks windows has crashed and opens apps that were open just before shutdown (but were closed at time)

4 hours ago, mobilenvidia said:

Thats no fair, what was update for ?

Am noticing this build when I shutdown, then turn back on thinks windows has crashed and opens apps that were open just before shutdown (but were closed at time)

I think the BIOS update is just the Meltdown fix - I'm just catching up with you!

For the shutdown problem, try System/Accounts/Sign-In Options, then scroll down to Privacy and toggle off "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart". That solves it for some people. Or maybe it's yet another Fast Startup  bug. That might be worth a look.

Microsoft has now added this to their blog about build 17101's known issues:

• [ADDED 2/20] Post-install at the first user-prompted reboot or shutdown, a small number of devices have experienced a scenario wherein the OS fails to load properly and may enter a reboot loop state. For affected PCs, turning off fast boot may bypass the issue. If not, it is necessary to create a bootable ISO on a USB drive, boot into recovery mode, and this this will allow bypass.