LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New Quadro4 700 Go gL on Inspiron 8200

Guest James

Guest James

I need some advice on my problem with the new card Nvidia Quadro 4 700 GO GL on my Inspiron 8200

When it works fine, it works fine, great, normal...

But after the computer has been switched off for some time and then switched on again the first time, it always crashes.

But just the first time!

Once i got a "system device failure" message, other times just a crash had to power off. When crashing i see the screen distorting not majorly but weird patterns foming.

But once 2nd reboot is done really it works smooth, games fine etc....

This has been going on for 3 days now since i first got the card.

I'm using latest official dell drivers at the moment and did try 44.68 but seems to be worse with it.

Is this card faulty? should i return it?

PLease help. Is the new card just getting adjusted to my computer?

Or is it because i need to defragment my 25percent fragmented C drive?

Will now try reinstalling windows by which time i hope there are some answers...

This has been going on for 3 days now since i first got the card.

so you changed your card? Have you uninstalled your old driver first before you built in the new card? After that install the new driver (official Dell one). When everything runs smooth, you can try playing around with Pieters or Teraphys inf and a newer driver. But before that, read the FAQ and know that all this is very beta. :)

When does the failure occur? If it's before the first Windows screen, be sure you have the latest BIOS installed. (Or it may be possible that the BIOS just doesn't correctly support that particular video card.)

If it happens after the first Windows screen, and if reinstallation of Windows doesn't help, check for the latest chipset installation utility from Intel.

Guest [mouta]

This can appear a ridiculous question but is a question that i would like to get a true answer. Is it possible change the video card of our laptop? Buy another? And then replace the one in the laptop? Thanks in advance.

[mouta]

The only Manufacturers that have upgradable video cards (boards) are Dell and Alienware.

There might be some others (let us know), but these are the main ones.

Technical expertise is required as your pulling apart your machine, and will also involve system BIOS upgrades. (Warranty will be void)

Other than that a very good way to keep the laptop upto date a little longer.

Most laptops have the video on the Motherboard with everything else, and there is no way of upgrading :)

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Guest James

The most peculiar things happen....

I just had the worst morning for my laptop the screens were going, didn't even boot up in some cases,. Again first time loads up fine and the 4 mins and there it is the same patterns then growing and growing then boom system device failure, the error message blamed driver inf file i think.

That was with 4257

Then i boot in safe mode (still the patterns distorting screen) with all the distortions, then i go and install 4258 (didn't before) and as soon as installation is done every distortion is GONE!!! YEHEY!!! Restarted and currently great.

But really too early to speak. Next time i give the computer a break and boots up that will be the most nerveracking thing ever...

Whats your thoughts is it the DRIVER? or the CARD? or BIOS?

(I'm using A11 which wasn't around when 4257 came out, so i'm HOPINg that is the reason....)

The hardware, BIOS and driver all have to work together, so it could be any of them. It sounds like the new card needed both the newer driver and the A11 BIOS. Save your current working driver somewhere and try some more recent driver versions to be sure everythign is working and let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Yes, unfortunately, it's a possiblity. Before sending the card back, try re-seating it just to make sure it's firmly in place. It might just be a loose connection.

James,

When you installed it, were there any other cables you had to remove.(ie Keyboard etc)

To get to my internals, I have to remove a couple of wee ribbon cables.

If when you reassembled the machine they wern't seated right it might cause problems.

As Larrry said, check everthing is seated nice and tightly.

I'm not too sure on Dell BIOS's but getting the latest M60 BIOS might help, as it's the same machine as a i8200. (you can now also get a Quadro FX go1000 for the M60)

If you have enough room on your HD (5GB) partition the drive, and install another copy of XP on this, then install any video driver (it doesn't matter which as long as it's 42.57 or greater)

Install the driver when it askes for it at the first bootup after you've installed XP.

Point it to the nv4_disp.inf or nvdm.inf (only 1 inf should be in directory at a time)

Don't use the Setup.exe way to install.

If it works with this version of XP then chances are you have a Software problem.

If things are as bad as before and everything is checked, then your Q4 700go might be to blame.

Dell will not be too pleased (or who ever you bought it off) when you return a working video card, so check everythig before sending back.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Pieter.

Guest james

Pieter definately not the connections - i previously owned a quadro changed cards many times, and re-seated many times also...

Today i was on the verge of returning the quadro... then.....

I think this maybe temperature related (possibly)....

I installed the 8200 Fan program yesterday, things have been starting to get better.... Only little slightly.

The distortions came once again one min into boot, but windows recovered fully (never did before) The only thin different was the fan program pouring the wind. I heard it as it was blanking out and in (screen) the fan was on full blast. It recovered! Before all this (yesterday and before) computer just froze....

Again after it's been running for 10 mins it's always perfectly fine...

I love the quadro i previously owned one, I delayed the return of the card and asked if i can see how it goes for another week.....

What's your suggestions?

What rating is your power adaptor, I think you need a 90w one to run the Quadro.

It could be the MB running out of juice to run everything.

Try removing the CD/DVD, floppy or anything else thats attached.

Then try again.

I saw this some where on the Dell forums months ago.

Good luck,

Pieter.

• 2 weeks later...

Pieter - the M60 is the same as the Latitude D800/Inspiron 8600.

The M50 is the same as the Inspiron 8200/Latitude C800.

ofelas is correct. One other thing is make sure to check the M50 for the latest Quadro4 70GoGL Video BIOS which no one has mentioned.

• 1 month later...
Guest vustare

Hi,

I know this topic's been inactive for awhile, but I came across it in my search to solve the same problem.

Firstly, James, if you're out there and you've found a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Secondly, and more generally, I am having the same issue. After carefully reinstalling and making sure the board sat nice and snug, screws tight and all, I rebooted my Dell, installed v42.57 with Pieter's modded INF with the added line

HKR,, PushBufferMemorySpace, %REG_DWORD%, 3

because I thought it would help as the error messages I were getting related to frame buff or something like that. For the few hours after, this machine was working (seemingly) perfectly. I was running games and apps.

Then, I went to bed for 6 hours, came back and had reboot problems. Blinking cursors, video glitches, psychedelic color patterns and I can't even get into my desktop.

I have the i8200 A11 bios, the Quadro A00 video bios, v42.57 Detonator, and Pieter's modded INF v11-something.

My computer is an i8200, P4-M 1.4, 15" SXGA (don't know manufacturer, but I think it's a Samsung).

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Guest Korpowski

Hello

I have sometimes a similar problem. during startup the screen freezez but in the background windows is starting "normal" but without any output on the screen. I thing it depends on the driver, becase with one with the original dell-inf I haven't had any problems (but also less options available).

It should work, because the motherboard of the I8200 is the same as in a M50 (and C840)...

Robert

Guest vustare

Thanks Robert.

I have been able to get the original Dell INFs to work, for the most part, but I just couldn't stand the less than optimized resolution. It made the screen a tad blurry. Consequently, I also wasn't able to test that INF for an extended period of time. As it stands, I've put back my old GeForce4 and called Dell to exchange the Quadro4 in the hope that it was a hardware malufunction. I'll see if that clears up any problems.

The main problem was I was getting more than just screen freezes. I was getting blue screens and errors talking about framebuff.dll and the device driver caught in an infinite loop, or something like that. Which still begs the question whether it was a software thing or a hardware one. With my GeForce4 back inside, everything is back to "normal". Anyways....

Thanks again for your help.

Vic

Guest Guest

vustare,

if you are sure you've done all the right things, just get a replacement.

mine proved to be faulty, when i got a brand new one, it worked with a hitch from the moment it was switched on.

the one which i had problems had no pink pad on the card and was not new when i bought it, though it supposedly should have been....

you flashed the bios yes?

Guest vustare

I'm starting to think/admit that the card must have been defect.

Regardless, after a flurry of phone calls between Dell Spare Parts and Dell Tech Support (they had put a hold on my exhcange order because they didn't "believe" the card was faulty), my order is finally going through.

I'm still under warranty which is great and my system is purring like a cat since GeForce4 was put back in ("purring" is a relative term because the GeForce still chugs and flops like an old basset hound during gameplay). No residual effects from the Quadro can be seen at startup or anywhere else for that matter.

Guest, my Quadro card did come with the pink sticky pad, but I did "notice" that a tiny bit of that sticky stuff was where it seemingly shouldn't have been on the card. Oh well....

Anyways, new card on the way and I'll see how that goes sometime next week.

Vic