LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Turn off the flickering at startup

mobilenvidia

Dudes a quick fix to that annoying bug,

In display properties under 'Clock Frequencies'

Select 'Manual overclocking' then agree.

Select 'Apply settings at startup'

Then apply/OK

Make sure that the frequencies are within the limits, it should default to default settings (mine does)

If it doesn't don't use it, it could ruin your machine unless you know the settings.

Be very careful you have been warned, don't come running to me that you had a fireball in your lap !!!

An easier way that will loose the Overclocking page (the cause of the problem), is to set the 'coolbits' in the INF to zero then reinstall (or do it manually in the registry)

Pieter.

• 2 weeks later...

Pieter, thanks a lot for the hint. I'd like to get rid of the flickering, but where's `Clock Frequencies'? I can' find it. I'm currently using 52.16/11.65. Should I see an overclocking page somewhere? Does setting Coolbits to zero remove or enable it?

Ministeve,

The Overclocking page is disabled on 4x0go GPU's :)

It's one of those things that are controlled in the BIOS.

The only way to fix yours is to set coolbits to I think 7, this will disable the OC page all together and fix the flashing screens.

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Thanks to both for answering.

I've tried setting some registry values. The sequence was as follows (I changed incrementally) :

CoolBits <- 0 flickering

CoolBits <- 1 flickering

CoolBits <- 7 flickering

NvCplEnableHardwarePage <- 0 flickering

CoolBits <- 0, NvCplDisablePerfQualPage <- 1 flickering

Right here are my findings,

Coolbits=0,1,4,5,8,9,A,C and turns off Overclocking page.

Coolbits=2,3,6,7,B,E and F turns on Overclocking page.

All the settings leave the Performance graph, unless this requires a reboot.

Now with the Overclocking page turned off also turns off the flickering.

This has been tested by me, if anything else happens for you then there might be something else afoot.

Make sure in the Display properties that the Overclocking page is not there.

If it is still there then the flickering will still occur unless you take those other steps I mentioned earlier.

Pieter.

Pieter,

here is the hierarchy of settings I have by right-clicking on the desktop, then choosing properties|settings|advanced|GeForce 4 420 Go

GeForce 4 420 Go
 nView Display Mode
 Performance & Quality Settings
   Direct3D Settings
     More Direct3D
   OpenGL Settings
 Overlay Controls
 Full Screen Video
 Troubleshooting
 PowerMizer
 NVRotate
 AGP Settings
 Additional Information
 Refresh Rate Overrides
 Troubleshooting
 Change Resolutions
Desktop Management
 Windows
 Applications
 Desktops
 User Interface
 Effects
 Zoom
 Hot Keys
 Mouse
 Tools
Screen Menus

What is the entry that you name `Overclocking page'? It should be there right now since I'm using Coolbits=15 (the default in the 11.65 inf).

Thanks

And a rehash...

Got to love bit setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak\Coolbits

bin - hex
0000 - 0 off
0001 - 1 off
0010 - 2
0011 - 3
0100 - 4 off
0101 - 5 off
0110 - 6
0111 - 7
1000 - 8 off
1001 - 9 off
1010 - A off
1011 - B
1100 - C off
1101 - D off
1110 - E
1111 - F

Notice the only values that turn it on are with the 2nd bit set.

This can be applied elsewhere such as NoPages. It used to be the 4th bit set opened up options for Direct3D -- I think this is what dontknow was getting at. But this doesn't seem to be the case anymore...??

With Coolbits turned on I get a screen flicker when entering the control panel. The Clock Frequencies page is located below Overlay Controls and before Troubleshooting/PowerMizer.

Also, make sure NoPages & NoMenus aren't set.

NvCplEnableHardwarePage should be located elsewhere...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{...}\0000

Thanks for the bitwise interpretation.

I have Coolbits=15 but no Overclocking page both using 52.16 and 56.63. Below Overlay Controls and before Troubleshooting/PowerMizer I only have Full Screen Video. I wonder if it's at all possible to have overclocking with my GPU. Anyway, the values I tried for Coolbits do not switch off the flickering (I have not tried ALL values though).

CoolBits in DETAIL!

Love it!

In the past 3 years i never found a page explaining the CoolBits value in detail like here. :) . Everybody was copy and pasting, but no one did the effort to test the values (even me only did to 7). Thanks Teraphy, Pieter and ministeve :)

• 2 weeks later...

IS THERE AWAY TO KEEP OCING BUT LOOSE THE FLICKER OR IS IT JSUT CAUSE WINDOWS LOADS THE REG SETTINGS AT THAT POINT

Mr NiTz

Read the very first post in this thread.

Pieter

• 4 weeks later...

You can use RivaTuner to turn off OC'ing, if you do NOT use it, in order to remove the bootup flickering.

• 2 months later...

The following can be done at any time without installing or rebooting.

To turm off overclocking page and flickering, click here.

To turn on Overclocking page, but cause flicker at boot and Display properties, click here.

Enjoy,

Pieter.

• 2 years later...

i have the same flickering at startup aside that i have few other questions and not sure where to post em i have a dell latitude c800 flashed to i8000 with geforce 4 440 go 64m i was wondering whats the highest i could overclock this card without damaging it also the best drivers. is there a bigger card i can put in here ?? and i have a noise comming threw my speakers when hdd activity is present anyone that could give me a hand id appreciate it thanks in advance

side note should i try or can i flash this back to a c800 or leave it be??

• 1 year later...

Thanks to everybody on this page for the good job that you always do.

This my first time that i use this page. I have a Sony VAIO PCG-NVR23, Nvidia Gforce4 420. (XP PRO SP2)

For a long time I haven't been able to play any games due to my old driver DriverVer = 06/29/2002, 3.0.5.0

Until i found this page that gave me new information and some ideas, too.

I set the 'coolbits' in the INF to zero using the the registry and i worked with DriverVer = 05/16/2005, 7.2.1.4

Pieter's INF version 30.71

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com

My Screen stop to flick at the startup :P

I have two questions for you guys

1.- Why I didn't get the same results with DriverVer = 11/03/2006, 6.14.10.9698? :)

2.- Setting the 'coolbits' in the INF to zero could damage my video card or it just disable the overclock windows on the Nvidia Panel? :)

P.D.

Something else that i want to say is that The DriverVer = 05/16/2005, 7.2.1.4 also worked on windows vista

One more time

Thanks - Gracias desde Peru