LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Monitor Driver Problem ??? Maybe

Guest dimitris

Guest dimitris

Guys,

I have come across a slight predicament. For the past year I have used various modded drivers and I always have had 3 plug and play monitors in the device manager in my laptop. Generic plain old plug and play monitors .. That's what it said.

After clearing out Windows XP's cache of infs recently and upgrading from 47.12 to 52.16 yesterday a problem arose. Now my monitors don't registered as installed ok in the device manager but rather they have the yellow question mark of (Other Devices). There are 3 monitors as before (but now with yellow marks) and one Monitor with total Chinese for its description ... I can't make it what it says. ...

Any thoughts?

Dimitris

Delete the yellow marked devices from DeviceManager. Update driver with have disk method again, reboot.

Guest dimitris

dontknow,

already had tried that myself....

didn't work...

forgot to mention on first post that clearing out the cache was done according to the article pieter posted a few days back ...

dimitris

Updating driver for the yellow monitor devices and letting XP search for driver also doesn't work?

Guest dimitris

that's right....

it doesn't even find plug and play driver .... i'm pretty sure it's because i cleaned out all caches according to that article ....

However I do have to say that in spite of the yellow marks .. system seems to work fine ...

dimitris

You could run sfc /scannow which restores needed XP files (though i've never tested if INFs are brought back from CD to %windir%\INF folder). But beware: any non signed (NON-WHQL) driver files are replaced, which also should affect your driver installation with v52.16. So don't panic, if after reboot, an old driver is suddenly installed.

After you succesfully run sfc, run the update of yellow monitor again or just install the 52.16 again and XP should find and install properly plug and play driver for monitor.

If that doesn't help only repair install is your saviour.

Guest dimitris

thanx ..

just ran the command ... it doesn't bring the files back from the cd...

problem still around.

I thought running repair install .. but I won't because then I would have to patch up my system all over again. ..

Since the problem doesn't create any trouble .. system runs normal .. I'll wait for SP2 and then repair install and install sp2 so I won't have to go to windows update and dload numerous updates ...

anyway,

thanx for your time man .. :)

Dimitris

I wonder if there is an issue with v52.16. The reports of unsuccesful removal of this driver version or having issues updating/downgrading to another driver version become more often in the last time. :)

Guest dimitris

I don't think so...

After the problem arose I uninstalled/installed 52.16/53.03/56.63/47.12/52.16 to determine if it was a drivers fault....

No luck... All of the drivers came with the 4 unknown/problematic monitors in device manager... It must be from the windows' cache cleaning...

Maybe, if somebody sends me the driver (plug and play monitor) windows has...

Dimitris

:P Just checked it. :)

The default monitors doesn't need a driver as XP told me. They are installed during Video Driver installation (but not in your case).

The Plug'n'Play Monitor is your LCD Panel which also gets installed during driver installation.

So no files to send you :)

Uninstall the driver completely then reboot (with Monitor attached)

Now let windows find new Hardware (Graphics), point the wizard to your graphics driver.

After the installation of the graphics driver windows SHOULD find another device (monitor(s)) now let windows find the drivers for these (ie no files needed they are in WinXP, plugnplay)

Plugnplay monitors have their EDID read to get the refresh rates etc.

The above should install the monitor properly, if it doesn't then there might be too much rubbish in the registry and the installer is gettting confused

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Guest dimitris

Pieter,

---Uninstall the driver completely then reboot (with Monitor attached)

done several times...

---Now let windows find new Hardware (Graphics), point the wizard to your graphics driver.

also done. :)

--After the installation of the graphics driver windows SHOULD find another device (monitor(s)) now let windows find the drivers for these (ie no files needed they are in WinXP, plugnplay)

it does find 3 devices called 'monitor' as before. Only difference now they don't have Microsoft as Device Driver Manufacturer in driver details in Device Manager. It says unknown.

Also there is a fourth device called 'junk ascii in here'.

Plugnplay monitors have their EDID read to get the refresh rates etc.

--The above should install the monitor properly, if it doesn't then there might be too much rubbish in the registry and the installer is gettting confused

i believe i keep my registry pretty clean. But then you never know :)

anyway, system seems to be working fine.

Do you think that because device manager doesn't recognize monitor as plug and play but rather as something strange it could cause any problems? .. it seems to be working fine to me..

Dimitris

If it's working fine, then it's best to just leave it.

Why fix what ain't broke.

Pieter.

Was 47.12 an OEM driver and 52.16 a modified driver?

Guest dimitris

both 47.12 and 52.16 were drivers hosted in laptopvideo2go.com....

downloaded both from there.

I am pretty sure it's the dll & inc & cache cleaning I did last week ... that's the only possible way to explain it ... :P

anyway... gonna wait for SP2 and format then :) :)