LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best driver for FX Go 5650 128mb?

whiteashcm1

does anybody know which is the best driver for the fx 5650 128mg card for gaming performance and 3d2001 benchmark? i use the 56.72 and they work pretty good and my 3d mark 2001 is 9519. does anybody know of a better driver which will give higher benchmarks or is this it??????? any reply appreciated!!

Edited by dontknow

Guest mobile risk

Try the modded alienware 56.67 for 3DMark03. Should be working fine with your card.

Or try the 44.xx for 3DMark01. I had a 44.83 alienware running and the score was well done. See the benchmark forum for details.

Keep on benchin', bra :)

Guest Cpt.Schmock

I've got the same card. Although i can't compare my benchmark to your's because of my 1,4 Ghz Processor, i believe 56.91 is the best driver. It solved all my problems both in 3d games and 2d windows-gui mode. But be sure to install with the standby-fix option. Else your laptop won't return from standby mode. Good luck!

Cpt.Schmock

Captain Schmock, please add what Laptop model do you own.

Guest Cpt.Schmock

Getting more and more involved in this mobile inf game, i just registered. The problems i had with all drivers between 53.03 and 56.91 were:

-No return from standby mode (resolved with last standby-fix option)

-minimizing applications under 2d gui mode resultetd in a 10 second lasting hang

-several opengl and quake 3 based games like MOHAA flickered (buffer-flipping problem)

-Window borders under 2 d gui mode lasted on my desktop when moving these windows

Finally, thanks to Gericoms 56.91, all these problems are gone.

Dell Inspiron 8600

Geforce FX 5650 128 MB

1,4 Ghz Pentium M

512 MB RAM

I have the same exact setup......whats your best bench in 3DMark01? I hit 9744 on OEM drivers. Every driver i used dropped my scores by almost 2000pts. And in FarCry if i don't use low setting my screen is all washed out and white. Still trying to find a driver that works.....any suggestions?

For good performance and best compatibility the Dell-based 53.82 drivers are a good bet, with the supplied inf or with Pieter'w inf. Dell only recommends these drivers for Quadro cards, but the 5650 is a very close cousin. My only real complaint with these drivers is the cumbersome navigation necessary to get to the NV control panel. :) I've never had any problems with the 56.72 drivers either, however, I only use one graphics intensive game and it's not related to the popular game engines of the FPS-type games.

-Scott-

p.s. For most of the 53.xx and 56.xx drivers, the differences in 3dmark01 scores are trivial. You are more likely to find bigger differences in features related to your specific game needs. For instance, some drivers tend to have smoother frame rates or better image quality. Also, some drivers that may benchmark, say 100 points better, may have a buggy function that gives poor performance in your selected apps. This is a long-winded way of saying that you're better off judging the drivers subjectively in your chosen applications (when the 3dmark scores are so close).